Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you shop at Amazon Go??

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
So how is a product deducted if you decided you have gone over your budget and put a product back on the shelf?

I am becoming more and more leery of companies trying to control your money and how you spend it.

So how is a product deducted if you decided you have gone over your budget and put a product back on the shelf?

I am becoming more and more leery of companies trying to control your money and how you spend it.

It's always helpful to read the article before asking questions ;)

"The service is called Amazon Go. It uses machine learning, sensors and artificial intelligence to track items customers pick up. These are then added to the virtual cart on their app. If they pick up an item they later decide they don't want, putting it back on the shelf removes it from their cart."

I don't see how this is "trying to control your money and how you spend it." I think it's a pretty nifty idea.

Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

I say this has too many questions and possible flaws for this to work.

Tesco (big supermarket chain in UK) has started something similar. You carry round a gadget that registers the things you put in your bag and then (I think) applies it automatically to your credit/debit card.

I don't use Tesco as I object to its racketteering with its suppliers. Same applies to Asda (owned by Walmart!!!). Fortunately, I live in a village with enough independent shopkeepers that I don't need to frequent big s/markets often.

Personally I use one of those electronic carts when my pain is bad. If there isn't one available and it's crowded or long lines I leave. Also I do my shopping and save the frozen food for last. I hate having to wait in a long line waiting to checkout while my frozen starts to thaw out.

I think this idea is wonderful. I hope No waiting checkout comes here soon. The only drawback and bad point would be the loss of jobs for cashiers.

Also how many times have been running around do errands or you just have no idea what to make for dinner but you want something different. I think it would be nice to try a meal kit with all you need for that meal. I hate trying a new recipe and invest in spices or ingredients in larger than you need quantity that sit around and never get used because we didn't care for the meal. So sometimes pricey spices get pushed to the back never to be seen again just to be chucked out years later and fresh ingredients get thrown away after going bad. I hate wasting money that way.

We just had our first experience with using the self check out for a full shopping load. Never again!:mad: For a few items, no problem, but there isn't enough space in the "bagging area" for a whole order and every time we put bagged items in our cart we got "Please return items to the bagging area" and the clerk had to come and override the machine.

I can see Amazon Go working, but just like automation in other businesses, it takes jobs from real people!:mad: You never know, it just might be your job being replaced.

Last edited:
I have faith in Amazon. I think they'll make it work. And yeah, sadly, will take jobs from people.

The self-checkouts at Walmart scare me. I always manage to mess up something, so an associate has to reset. I would rather wait in line and have a real-life human check me out.

Last edited:
Our StopnShop has the option to grab a scanner as you walk in. You scan your store card (which gives you discounts/coupon prices) then you can grab paper or plastic bags or use your on reusable bags. You can scan and bag our wait till checkout to bag. I like that I can see my total as I go so I don't over spend. They even allow you to weigh produce and printout a label that you scan. You can then take the scanner to a self checkout isle which reads the scanner. And if you bagged already just pay and leave or you bag there. What I do is scan and use my bags BUT I go to a cashier and she puts in the scanner info. They really like when you do that because all they need do is accept payment without having to bag. It also brings up their numbers (here they keep track of the time of each checkout and have quotas of per hour order transactions).

All the glitches will eventually be worked out.....

Isn't that the truth! And it takes time to find every little glitch. For instance, Jane is shopping and has a big bag full of paid for items, she sets it down to get another bag, and leaves it behind her. Jill comes along and grabs the bag and leaves the store....oops. Jill gets free groceries and Jan doesn't check out her Amazon charges every single time she shops there.

For instance, Jill and Jan go shopping, with two different Amazon accounts, Jill buys toothpaste, Jan buys 20 steak dinner kits (lol, kits). Jill picks up the bag for Jan and leaves the store. Jan stands there with no groceries...wondering what happened? Optical recognition might work!

There will always be a glitch. Always, don't kid yourself and once the public finds the glitch, they will exploit it. Remember hearing about the airlines selling tickets online at ridiculously low prices, it was a glitch, they had to make good on those wrong prices. Once the public heard about it, they exploited it.

Locally, we had a grocery store chain that started the self check out. If you brought your own grocery bags you were refunded $0.20 (or something like that). There was no limit on how many bags you could be refunded for. (glitch) So some smart teens/twenty somethings started entering very high numbers of bags, essentially getting a refund on bags they never brought with them. One of them ended up with a felony (this is determined by the $ amount of money stolen), the other with a misdemeanor.

Mad cook, I am famous for killing those gadgets, when in Uk if I stand near the gadget checkout, the machine will fail. And the same here in Sweden, gadgets and me doesnt work for some reason. Oh well back in the 90.ties I used to kill lap top computers bu having them in my lap..

What are the questions and flaws?

Does this store work with people on Food Stamps?

If you take a muffin off one shelf and place it back where cereal is sold does it remove if off your shopping total?

If two people remove different priced items in the same spot at the same time will it know what item was properly taken?

If you abandon a cart how long before all the products are removed off your order?

Can you easily jump over the smartphone scanner and get away with it??

If you bring a kid with you and they take something off the shelf and sneak it into a shopping bag will it know the item was added to the shopping list?

If you do not have a credit card or even a bank account you may not have a chance to use this store right?

You need to have a smartphone just to use the store. Not everyone in the USA uses a smartphone though?

Mad cook, I am famous for killing those gadgets, when in Uk if I stand near the gadget checkout, the machine will fail. And the same here in Sweden, gadgets and me doesnt work for some reason. Oh well back in the 90.ties I used to kill lap top computers bu having them in my lap..
Oh wow, have you thought of replacing your pacemaker?

I have a great little supermarket in my little one horse town. They are staffed with friendly people. Many of them know my name and I know theirs. They always have an extra person who can open a register in a moment. There are generally no more that two people in line, the one checking out and just one waiting to be checked out.

It's not as good as in the UK where I could visit the fish monger, the butcher, and the produce store and have those folks know what I like and cater to me personally, but it's the next best thing.

Back
Top Bottom