"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Ambien Is Evil!

When I first moved here, I woke up to every little sound and it became a habit and I couldn't sleep through the night at all. I thought it would go away when I had been here a while and got used to the place but that didn't happen so I finally made the dreaded trip to the VA and the doc put me on Ambien.
It didn't really help at first but I took it every night anyways and now it's messing me up bad. I have been sleepwalking and this morning I woke up in the rocker with the phone off the charger. Enuff's enuff!!!!
I called the VA and got hold of a nurse practitioner who said this was common and not to take it anymore and that there were natural herbs that I could get to help me sleep. I'd heard of that but was preoccupied with everything else around here so I didn't get any but I went to a friend who grows lavender and chamomile along with other herbs. She sent me home with a jar of lavender and chamomile tea and when I got home I was curious to see if it worked so I made a cup of it and drank it down, and it tasted really good.
BIIIIIIIG mistake! Don't drink that stuff unless you plan on hibernating! I had to take two naps today and I never do that unless I'm really sick.
But at least I was aware of my surroundings.
If any of you are on Ambien, please be careful with it. I looked up the side effects and people have even driven to places and not remembered it. For me, it was disastrous.
I called my friend after my second nap and told her what I did and she said, "You dummy! I told you it would work!"
Yeah, yeah. So if you have trouble sleeping, hang up the Ambien and check out a lavender and chamomile tea. I promise you you'll pass right out.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My sister-in-law tried Ambien. She didn't realize how quickly it would work. She took it, then planned to go to the bathroom, brush her teeth, etc., and go to bed. She fell so sound asleep on the toilet that her husband couldn't wake her up!

When I need a little help falling asleep, I sometimes take Melatonin 3. I got it at GNC. I read that when you are on the computer or watching TV late, your body thinks it is still daytime and your natural melatonin levels are thrown off, and that the melatonin pills fool your body into realizing it is nighttime.

Hot chocolate and a warm bath right before bed help me a lot as well.

Barbara

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

Yes, prescription sleep aids are not so helpful after all. Some can give you nightmares. I was too sensitive to be able to function on them, too.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Head Chef

My friend who has has some medical problems also has insomnia. Her doctor recommended Ambien. She called a few days ago to ask me if I would drive her to the hairdresser because she broke her arm. She woke up with a lot of pain and a very swollen wrist. Apparently she fell out of bed or somewhere else in the house while asleep and never realized it til she woke up the next morning.
A few days before that her neighbor answered her door and there stood my friend looking for her husband at 2 A.M. Her husband died 8 years ago.
This stuff is bad news.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I tried Ambien CR recently, helped me to fall asleep but didn't keep me asleep. I didn't care for it either.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I LOVE ambien. I don't take it too often, usually when I travel over seas and need to catch up - and I always take a half.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I work in the medical field and yes, Ambien should be used very cautiously!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Ambien didn't help my husband stay asleep very well. However - he has a friend who has wrecked two vehicles while "sleep-driving" in the middle of the night. He was booked for d-u-i both times but released after passing the breathalyzer (and getting ticketed for lesser charges).
Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

Geez, I had heard about these side effects before, people sleepwalk and sleep driving, but for me it didn't work at all. Took it night after night for a month and never even snoozed for a few minutes...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

A glass of Red Wine 30 minutes before lights out...Cheap and effective.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote