"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

American Bulldog info, please!

My husband and I bought an American Bulldog today. Anyone else here have one, or have in past? As some of you probably know, we also have a toy poodle is my BABY. He probably weighs about 8 lbs... this Bulldog probably weighs close to 100 lbs. I was terrified how they would be together, but they've been great so far. He is the most laid back dog i've ever seen. (Though he may just be a bit depressed or sad from the move..) Anyways, I was just wondering what you all thought of this breed. I'll try to post a pic of him sometime tomorrow...

Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

I don't have any info on the breed itself... I would offer some advice on bringing the new dog home, but since he is already home, not much point in it now.

Congrats to you and your new family member. If you have further questions about, please ask!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

OHHHHH... can't wait to see the pics!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

my impression is that they are very good natured. wouldn't leave new one and poodle together unsupervised , til you are sure of big dog.

babe
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I do not know how old the dog is, I think some of the breed things to watch for are "Cherry Eye" and "Hip Displacia" (sp). SIL's girlfriend has one and we all love her.

Plays well with my 2 labs. My black loves her, My Chocolate is terrified of her.

Always jumps up in my lap and iss very friendly.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I have an American Bulldog. They are great dogs, very good natured and very trainable, though it's hard to say what training will be like starting with an adult dog you didn't raise.

Gizmo is a bit overweight, he weighs in at about 130 lbs, probably should be around 110. He tends to be shy around new people. I'm told this isn't uncommon in the breed.

I can't think of what else to tell you, is there anything specific you want to know about?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Well, so far so good, Sammy (my poodle) and Max (husbands bulldog) have been getting along really well. I'm still so nervous having them both loose outside, but we're always standing by the door watching. We keep my poodle in the utility room with a baby gate at night, and have just been letting Max sleep on the floor by our bed..(he's been an indoor dog all his life) I wasn't wanting to know anything in particular, I was just curious how many people have this breed and if they like em. I've never been around a big dog like this before.. He's SO much bigger than my tiny Sammy!!... Here's a couple pics I took of him. My husband dropped my camera (For the second time! ) and now it will sometimes make strange lines in the pictures, and shows nothing but white when your outside in the sun.. lol. So hopefully these pictures turned out okay..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sammy standing.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	4594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Max 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	4595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Max 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	4596  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

He's got the sweetest eyes!! I don't know about them either. I can say, when you have them both in the room, make sure attention is paid to them both and not one over the other. Congrats on the new edition!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

He's a good-looking boy, beginner! I like him!

Where did you find Max? Is he an adult? Did he come from someone's home?

Best of luck with your new family member!

Lee
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Have you heard of Craigs List? I ask because i'm surprised how many people have never heard of it. Someone had just posted an ad on there, saying he was up for adoption. He's a year 1/2 old. The previous owner was a truck driver and had been taking Max with him since he was a pup. That would explain why he's so calm.. But I guess he recently changed jobs, where Max had to stay home all the time. Well, they also had another big dog who was much older at the house. They got into a few major battles with eachother in the month or so that he was home all the time. He has a few tiny scars on his head, and had some open wounds when we got him. He only asked for $40 for the adoption.. I think we just got lucky seeing his ad as soon as we did, because he's such a well behaved dog.. and I love that he's already house trained, and fixed.