American English

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also it is confusing because it is almost like a double negative -- the "no" and then the "aren't". So it's almost like saying "I don't have no plans for dinner tonight" which is a double negative and not grammatically correct.
If it was written down there would be a full stop (I think this is called a period in the US) or even an exclamation mark (!) after the No, ie "No. It isn't" or "No! It isn't" The "No" emphasises the negative of the next sentence.

Also it is confusing because it is almost like a double negative -- the "no" and then the "aren't". So it's almost like saying "I don't have no plans for dinner tonight" which is a double negative and not grammatically correct.
No. It isn't. :)

Not confusing at all. and nothing to do with double negatives. It's about emphasis.

(Don't let me get involved in this. I was the teacher who was old-fashioned enough to make pupils correct spelling mistakes by writing them out ten times :rolleyes:)

Yes, it is correct to say that both (Bryan and Cathy) think they are not the same.

Example: Bryan, Cathy, and two friends are out having a soda (pop, a soft drink), some having Pepsi and some having Coke.
The friends talk about the tastes of Pepsi and Coke. "This one tastes more lemony", "this one tastes more sweet", "this one bubbles differently", "this one isn't overly sweet."

Bryan: But they are not the same then.
Cathy: No they aren´t.

Bryan and Cathy agree that Pepsi and Coke are not the same.
Exactly!

Thank you all for your answers. :)

If it was written down there would be a full stop (I think this is called a period in the US) or even an exclamation mark (!) after the No, ie "No. It isn't" or "No! It isn't" The "No" emphasises the negative of the next sentence.

So just to understand you right:
Cathy's last statement "No they aren't" means the same as "No, I agree, they are not the same.", correct?

I am very sorry, but you do not know of which you are speaking.

GMO AND GRAFTING GRAPE VINES

This is of your own America. There are of GMOs and please do not speak of how things are done in my country. I know this well.

Not every food or fruit is regulated of the USA in other countries.

Love,
~Cat

Um, no, the author of that site does not know of what they are speaking. Grafting is not genetic modification. This, for example:

Whether grafting induces genetic changes across the graft union as a result of the grafting, evident in grape vine graft hybrids, is a subject of scientific observation, experimentation, discussion, and even debate that goes back to ancient times. Graft ‘‘hybridization’’ involves the creation of a compound genetic system by uniting two distinct genotypes.

People in ancient times knew nothing about genes or genotypes.

You may not remember this, but I am a Master Gardener. Unless you have acquired a degree in viniculture in the same period of time you got married, adopted a child, traveled throughout Europe with an entourage, took over assorted international businesses and the design, building and launch of a ship, and became a pilot, it's possible you don't quite understand the difference between grafting and genetic modification.

I don't know what that last sentence means.

Last edited:
I am very sorry, but you do not know of which you are speaking.

GMO AND GRAFTING GRAPE VINES

This is of your own America. There are of GMOs and please do not speak of how things are done in my country. I know this well.

Not every food or fruit is regulated of the USA in other countries.

Love,
~Cat
A graft and a genetically modified organism, are two different things. I can give my fertilized egg to another mother and have a child. That child is not genetically modified.

Perhaps this is better discussed in a separate thread about GMO's, instead of a political attack of a European country's company making claims about the USA policies and procedures regarding the lifespan of women in the USA.

This thread is about understanding the English language as a secondary language.

Last edited:
A graft and a genetically modified organism, are two different things. I can give my fertilized egg to another mother and have a child. That child is not genetically modified.

Perhaps this is better discussed in a separate thread about GMO's, instead of a political attack of a European country's company making claims about the USA policies and procedures regarding the lifespan of women in the USA.

This thread is about understanding the English language as a secondary language.

Thank you, blissful. That's a great example.

Americans tend to speak in very short phrases. "Instead of saying "No, they aren't," most of us would simply say "No" or "Nope" (which is not as formal).
Ok thank you, but If you see the whole conversation:
Bryan: Is that an old photo of your friend?
Cathy: No, its not a photo of my friend.
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
Cathy: No they aren't.

Does Cathys "No they aren't" mean that she confirms, that the person in the picture and her friend are not the same person?

Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.

Does Cathys "No they aren't" mean that she confirms, that the person in the picture and her friend are not the same person?

It's more likely that Cathy's first answer would be "No, it's not."

Her second answer is confirming "No, they aren't [the same person]."

Yes, they are not the same. I would seem to understand of these not of the same person and say as well.

Love,
~Cat

I meant that the yes or no applies of the reply and of the picture it is not clear how it can be presented of this.

Love,
~Cat

Ah thank you.
So in the end Cathy confirms that the person on the photo and the friend are not the same person, correct?

(whole conversation:

Cathy: No, I don't think so.
Cathy: No they aren't.)

And another question I ask myself: Is it realy unclear how Cathy's "No they aren't" is meant? Cause I thought the other ones were telling me it is sure that it means "No they aren't the same person." and it cannot mean "No I disagree. I think they are the same person"?

Last edited:
Americans love to use contractions. Two words made into one. Can't, won't, didn't, wasn't. When you see a word that ends in an n't, that means the last word is usually "not". Can't = can not, won't = would not, didn't = did not, wasn't = was not. And sometimes won't and equal will not.

Confused now? Even Americans can have a hard time learning their own language. Won't can mean "would not" or even "will not".

Welcome to DC. :angel:

Yes I know, I am just confused that everyone is telling me that Cathy's last answer "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" and Cat thinks it's unclear and can also mean "No that's wrong, they are the same person."
Or did I missunderstand something?

Whole conversation:
Cathy (looks closer): No they aren't.

Last edited:
Yes I know, I am just confused that everyone is telling me that Cathy's last answer "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" and Cat thinks it's unclear and can also mean "No that's wrong, they are the same person."
Or did I missunderstand something?

Whole conversation:
Cathy (looks closer): No they aren't.

Look at Cathy's answer. She says No, That comma separates her full comment from the "I don't". She separated the two negatives.

But then she says "No they aren't." There should be a comma there after the "No" also. What she should have said was just, " They aren't." It amazes me that any person whose native tongue is not English, ever learns even the basic rules. Then on top of American English, you have the Queen's English. Spelling is different than ours, and it changes from country to country throughout the Commonwealth. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom