"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

The Discuss Cooking forum is for people who enjoy cooking and talking about it.

This forum might be more appropriate for your question: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-foru...3869d741e630f4

Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

yeah, but as a silent reader here with many native english speaking here I would be very happy to get help :)

Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydixtor View Post
Oh didn't see this.
And you also saw the whole conversation (not only the snippet) and there it's clear that Cathy's last sentence "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" correct?

Whole conversation:
Bryan: Is that an old photo of your friend?
Cathy: No, I don't think so.
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
Cathy (looks closer): No they aren't.
So I would be very glad for any help :)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydixtor View Post
yeah, but as a silent reader here with many native english speaking here I would be very happy to get help :)
rickydixtor, it appears that is exactly what you can get if you click on the link to "English Club" that GotGarlic posted. From the English Club website:

This forum exists to answer questions from non-native LEARNERS of English about English GRAMMAR. Suitable question-types therefore consist essentially of the following:

* Questions relating to the grammatical function of a word or phrase in a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the grammatical acceptability of a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the reasons for grammatical unacceptability of a particular sentence (STRICTLY one per post!)

Those of us who hang around here are much more fluent in "cooking" than we are in English teaching. You will probably get a better answer quicker if you ask the people who are more skilled in explaining an answer to your question.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #55
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
rickydixtor, it appears that is exactly what you can get if you click on the link to "English Club" that GotGarlic posted. From the English Club website:

This forum exists to answer questions from non-native LEARNERS of English about English GRAMMAR. Suitable question-types therefore consist essentially of the following:

* Questions relating to the grammatical function of a word or phrase in a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the grammatical acceptability of a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the reasons for grammatical unacceptability of a particular sentence (STRICTLY one per post!)

Those of us who hang around here are much more fluent in "cooking" than we are in English teaching. You will probably get a better answer quicker if you ask the people who are more skilled in explaining an answer to your question.
My English is not perfect so perhaps I belong elsewhere also.

Love,
~Cat
Old 02-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #56
Assistant Cook

I know I would get explanations and so on somewhere else, but just a short Interpretation of a normal native English speaker is enough. I think it's an easy everyday conversation and I just want to go sure to understand Cathy's last statement in the whole conversation right. So realy thanks in advance.

Whole conversation:
Bryan: Is that an old photo of your friend?
Cathy: No, I don't think so.
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
Cathy (looks closer): No they aren't.

Cathy's last sentence "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" correct?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #57
Master Chef

Your question has been patiently answered many times.

I'm not sure why you keep asking it over and over again.

If you are unclear about the answers you are getting in a cooking forum, it probably would be better for you to ask your question in the English forum that Got garlic so thoughtfully posted for you.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #58
Assistant Cook

I am just unsure if you read the whole conversation that could have changed the meaning cause first I only posted a snippet. That's all. :)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

Love,
~Cat
Absolutely not! You belong here, you are ours! We do not demand perfect English, we can help with general questions about language. But, we are not English teachers, just friends who love food.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

Love,
~Cat
You stay right where you are. You definitely belong right here. We love you and do not ever want you to feel like you do not belong.