American English

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, but I'm sorry I don't understand your answer what Cathy means with her last statement "No they aren't."

Does she want to say "No, they are not the same" or is possible she wants to say "No, that is wrong, they are the same"?

This question has been answered correctly multiple times. Back in posts #10-#14 it seemed clear to you.

yes you all said it means "they are not the same person".
But User cat said it's also possible that it can mean "No that's wrong. They are the same person". So I wanted to know more about it. Or did I missunderstand Cat?

yes you all said it means "they are not the same person".
But User cat said it's also possible that it can mean "No that's wrong. They are the same person". So I wanted to know more about it. Or did I missunderstand Cat?

Cat is not a native English speaker and I don't understand what she's saying, either ;)

Bottom line: No, they aren't [the same person]. Period. End of story.

lol (laughing out loud) as an English interpretation.

[why does this remind me of my brother? If he didn't like the answer to the question, then he'd just ask it again, and again, as though that would change the answer. So he'd ask, "can I have candy" and the answer was, "no", so he'd ask again, because he wanted candy, and the answer was still, "no". This, however, didn't stop him from asking again.]

Oh didn't see this.
And you also saw the whole conversation (not only the snippet) and there it's clear that Cathy's last sentence "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" correct?

Whole conversation:
Bryan: Is that an old photo of your friend?
Cathy: No, I don't think so.
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
Cathy (looks closer): No they aren't.

Oh didn't see this.
And you also saw the whole conversation (not only the snippet) and there it's clear that Cathy's last sentence "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" correct?

Whole conversation:
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
? :)

yeah, but as a silent reader here with many native english speaking here I would be very happy to get help :)

Oh didn't see this.

Whole conversation:
So I would be very glad for any help :)

yeah, but as a silent reader here with many native english speaking here I would be very happy to get help :)
rickydixtor, it appears that is exactly what you can get if you click on the link to "English Club" that GotGarlic posted. From the English Club website:

This forum exists to answer questions from non-native LEARNERS of English about English GRAMMAR. Suitable question-types therefore consist essentially of the following:

* Questions relating to the grammatical function of a word or phrase in a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the grammatical acceptability of a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the reasons for grammatical unacceptability of a particular sentence (STRICTLY one per post!)

Those of us who hang around here are much more fluent in "cooking" than we are in English teaching. You will probably get a better answer quicker if you ask the people who are more skilled in explaining an answer to your question.

rickydixtor, it appears that is exactly what you can get if you click on the link to "English Club" that GotGarlic posted. From the English Club website:

This forum exists to answer questions from non-native LEARNERS of English about English GRAMMAR. Suitable question-types therefore consist essentially of the following:

* Questions relating to the grammatical function of a word or phrase in a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the grammatical acceptability of a particular sentence (one per post)
* Questions relating to the reasons for grammatical unacceptability of a particular sentence (STRICTLY one per post!)

Those of us who hang around here are much more fluent in "cooking" than we are in English teaching. You will probably get a better answer quicker if you ask the people who are more skilled in explaining an answer to your question.

My English is not perfect so perhaps I belong elsewhere also.

Love,
~Cat

I know I would get explanations and so on somewhere else, but just a short Interpretation of a normal native English speaker is enough. I think it's an easy everyday conversation and I just want to go sure to understand Cathy's last statement in the whole conversation right. So realy thanks in advance.

Whole conversation:

Cathy's last sentence "No they aren't" means "No, they are not the same person" correct?

Last edited:
Your question has been patiently answered many times.

I'm not sure why you keep asking it over and over again.

If you are unclear about the answers you are getting in a cooking forum, it probably would be better for you to ask your question in the English forum that Got garlic so thoughtfully posted for you.

I am just unsure if you read the whole conversation that could have changed the meaning cause first I only posted a snippet. That's all. :)

My English is not perfect so perhaps I belong elsewhere also.

Love,
~Cat

Absolutely not! You belong here, you are ours! We do not demand perfect English, we can help with general questions about language. But, we are not English teachers, just friends who love food.

Back
Top Bottom