American Football in UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I am completely fuddled as to why two American NFL football teams, New York Giants and Los Angeles Rams, should travel all the way to England to play a game against each other.

They played at Twickenham which is a rugby field. I had to think hard to be sure it wasn't April Fools' Day when I heard the news!

The National Football League (NFL) is trying to expand the league internationally and this is their warm up. Frankly, I think it's foolish. There is minimal interest in these games here. They start at 6:30AM west coast time!

For some inexplicable reason, the NFL does this every year in the hope that American football will eventually catch on in Europe.

For what it's worth, European Football (Soccer) hasn't really caught on over here, either.

The National Football League (NFL) is trying to expand the league internationally and this is their warm up. Frankly, I think it's foolish. There is minimal interest in these games here. They start at 6:30AM west coast time!

They need a team like the San Francisco 49's in that 6:30AM west coast start time game for me to fully care.

For some inexplicable reason, the NFL does this every year in the hope that American football will eventually catch on in Europe.

For what it's worth, European Football (Soccer) hasn't really caught on over here, either.

^^^^
This.

It's not inexplicable Mr. Steve. It's about the $$$$$. The NFL wants to expand their income. What they pull in isn't enough for them.

I gave up on professional sports years ago.
If you want to take on a second mortgage to attend the events they hold then go for it.
Price the tickets, hot dog, and a soda at game for a family these days.
Not really worth the value to me.

Mad Cook, You're right to be befuddled.
But the cost of travel doesn't mean squat to the NFL in their quest for higher income.
Either enjoy the game or not. I did at one time.

And April Fools is no longer reserved for the first of April. ;)

Apparently, some attending the London NFL game at Twikingham stadium say it wasn't as good as NFL games played at Wembly Stadium.

Anyhow...here's the link to the NFL UK football forum.

"Twickingham let me down"

"Twickingham markedly inferior to Wembly Stadium".

International Series - NFL UK Forums

Feel free to discuss. :LOL:

Last edited:

There is some interest in American football over here. American games (played in the US) have been on television (usually at some ridiculous time in the middle of the night) for some years and there have been a few teams playing here but not, I'm told, very well. It's a bit of a novelty I think.

From what I see on the American TV that we get on Brit TV, soccer seems to be either a small children's game or a girl's/women's game.

...From what I see on the American TV that we get on Brit TV, soccer seems to be either a small children's game or a girl's/women's game.

That's right. Although there is an American soccer league here, it has not really caught on yet.

That's right. Although there is an American soccer league here, it has not really caught on yet.

In a broader sense, yes.
But I think American and even International soccer leagues have strong regional fan bases here. Take Southern California, for instance. With a strong, Latin majority demographics here soccer is very popular. It's not uncommon to see both live football and soccer telecasts at sportbars.

Geesh, when Italy won the world cup you would have thought we were in Italy by the celebration. The same goes for any Spanish speaking or Latin country.

We have a team here called the Revolutions. I try to follow them, but you can't even get any news about them on the air.

There is some interest in American football over here. American games (played in the US) have been on television (usually at some ridiculous time in the middle of the night) for some years and there have been a few teams playing here but not, I'm told, very well. It's a bit of a novelty I think.

The time zone is a factor, yes. Sunday and Monday Night Football games start live in the UK around 2:00 AM. The game is usually over at 5:00 AM UK time. :LOL:

Last edited:
I think baseball and basketball would have more of a chance at being popular in Europe.

I think baseball and basketball would have more of a chance at being popular in Europe.

Baseball and basketball ARE more popular in Europe. Once every four years there is a world baseball classic with teams from North and South America, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Basketball is also very popular with a European basketball league and with numerous European players and a few Asians playing in the NBA.

Baseball and basketball ARE more popular in Europe. Once every four years there is a world baseball classic with teams from North and South America, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Basketball is also very popular with a European basketball league and with numerous European players and a few Asians playing in the NBA.

Basketball is king in China.

Another reason that soccer has had a difficult time catching on in the U.S. is the lack of stoppages to allow for advertising. The game is played relatively non-stop in 2 roughly 45 minute sessions. No time to break for commercials, so the funding for TV isn't there.

Football has stoppages every 5 seconds, hockey has built in TV time outs, and baseball has time for adverts in between innings, changing pitchers, and every time a player needs to scratch himself.

Back
Top Bottom