"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I disagree. When the plane goes down and lands in the middle of that water it really won't matter that you were at altitude.

50 miles out with a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy with me, neither of whom who can't swim, you had better believe that a life vest would mean more to me than a floating seat cushion.
GB, a plane at altitude will take more than 50 miles to land. Which is why I said that you are "for all purposes" over land. On our recent trip we "started our descent" at roughly 250 miles out according to the pilot's announcement.

In a situation such as TWA 800 where the plane breaks up over water in mid air (or experiences some other malfunction causing to drop that far in less than 50 miles) well... no life vest is going to save someone.

And as for the the airline putting money over safety, well... yes. But only because the regulators did it first.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
GB, a plane at altitude will take more than 50 miles to land. Which is why I said that you are "for all purposes" over land.
Land yes, but it won't take that long to crash. If your plane is going down then it is going to drop to the ground in a lot less than 50 miles.

I will grant you that in most cases if your plane is going down then chances are you are dead no matter what. However if I were lucky enough to survive the decent then I sure as heck would want whatever safety equipment I could have that might keep me alive.

Getting rid of safety equipment to save money is a poor decision IMO. I would be willing to bet I could find something else to get rid of on the plane instead of the live vests.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
I bet you would if you were one of those couple of instances.
Yeah, but the probability of that happening is up there with winning the Powerball lottery.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Apples and oranges qmax. Winning the lottery is not a life or death situation. If you don't win the lottery then that sucks for you, but your life goes on. If you are in a plane that crashes into the water and you do not have a life vest then have fun checking out the bottom of the lake you just landed in.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
. Chances are, if the plane is going down you aren't going to need that life vest anyway.
QFT

+10000000006

if I am on a plane that is going down, I am not worried about finding the life vest, FIND ME THE BAR CART!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Land yes, but it won't take that long to crash. If your plane is going down then it is going to drop to the ground in a lot less than 50 miles.
I disagree. From 30,000 - 34,000 feet (Rough average of what most of my flights seem to cruise around) it will actually take more than 50 miles due to the speed of the aircraft (and a reasonable angle of decent). The whole key is the phrase "at altitude".

Now, that's barring some catastrophic failure causing you to drop at a far steeper angle, and in that case I agree it's pretty much over no matter what you have on board or where you land.

Personally, I'd prefer to never have to test any of these theories.

Edit to add: I checked their website and I couldn't find the type of planes they are flying. I'm arguing this point based on the assumption that it's a commercial aircraft and not some little puddle jumper that flies at about 20,000 feet. THat changes the argument quite a bit.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Apples and oranges qmax. Winning the lottery is not a life or death situation. If you don't win the lottery then that sucks for you, but your life goes on. If you are in a plane that crashes into the water and you do not have a life vest then have fun checking out the bottom of the lake you just landed in.

It's up there with worrying about getting hit by a meteor. If you are in a plane that crashes in the water, you'll never get the chance to use the vest anyway.

Last instance I can think of with a water-ditch was that Ethiopian 767 that was hijacked and ran out of fuel off of east Africa. Around 100 people survived but few of them had a chance to put on life vests.

That, BTW, was about a dozen years ago.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

I was under the impression that most airlines have dispensed with life vests in favor of seat cushions.

I actually think this is a good idea. The vests were flimsy and hidden under the seat. The cushions are right there under your butt.

As a practial matter your chances of being able to access and use a life vest to save your life in an airplane crash are incredibly miniscule.

There was a plane crash in Boston in the water about 25 years ago but no one could get life vests on then, either.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I would still want the option though. If G-d forbid i am ever in that situation with my kids, how am I supposed to keep them afloat on a cushion?

Get rid of the skymall magazine and give me my life vest back.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Head Chef

Water landing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"So the life jackets ... have little purpose other than to make passengers feel better."