"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

An Airline I won't be flying on

Talk about stupid ways to save money.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Sous Chef

True that!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Maybe they should just weigh passangers as they get on to save money too. That's ridiculous but even worse is that it's an allowed situation under the Canadian guidelines.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Head Chef

This strikes me as a bit more of a sensationalistic story than it needs to be. Most domestic (US) aircraft have already gone through this to a degree.

Case in point, of all the 757s I flew on to Kauai and back on vacation, only 2 - LAX to Lihue and Lihue back to LAX - were listed as "757-Overwater" models. The rest of them were not equipped with the same equipment because they are generally not over water.

50 miles from shore on a passenger airliner at altitude? You are, for all intents and purposes over land.

Of course, based on my flight experiences where they are even trying to charge for soft drinks now I can't see myself worry too mych about *any* airline, since odds are I won't be on it.

I'll agree to pay a couple bucks for a can of Pepsi when they agree that my $1500 ticket will provide enough leg room to keep my knees out of the seat in front of me. And I'm a short guy!

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
50 miles from shore on a passenger airliner at altitude? You are, for all intents and purposes over land.
I disagree. When the plane goes down and lands in the middle of that water it really won't matter that you were at altitude.

50 miles out with a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy with me, neither of whom who can't swim, you had better believe that a life vest would mean more to me than a floating seat cushion.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Everymom

GB, you wouldn't fly Jazz anyway. I agree with ronjohn, this is more sensational than it needs to be. Jazz isn't that big a carrier really. If you're going to be flying somewhere over water its a lot more likely to be a true Air Canada flight or Westjet.

Anyway, this doesn't even tweak my radar. Chances are, if the plane is going down you aren't going to need that life vest anyway.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

No I won't be flying Jazz, but the point of the story is that the airline is putting cost savings above safety, even if it is just a perception. Like i said, if I am on a plane with my kids and the plane goes into the water and we happen to survive then a floating cushion is not going to do me much good. I live vest will.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Everymom

GB, I guess what I am saying is that the flotation device is going to be every bit as effective as the life vest in the situations Jazz would need them for. I'm not defending here, just saying its really not a big deal. I didn't even realize Jazz was still flying to be perfectly honest. Half the time its not because of other financial stupidities. I'm not going to bother getting into them here, but really this is such a minor thing compared to some of the other outrageous stuff the airlines have done here that its not even an issue.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Anyway, this doesn't even tweak my radar. Chances are, if the plane is going down you aren't going to need that life vest anyway.
Truth. I'll bet you can't find more than a couple instances in the last 20 years where life vests on a commercial aircraft were actually used.

I travel transcontinental all the time, and couldn't care less if there are life vests on board.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
Truth. I'll bet you can't find more than a couple instances in the last 20 years where life vests on a commercial aircraft were actually used.

I travel transcontinental all the time, and couldn't care less if there are life vests on board.
I bet you would if you were one of those couple of instances.