"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Oh my. Now there is a bitter human being. I read about 1/3 of that and just X'd it away. Not funny to me.
How fouL. Enough said.
Thank you. So I am not the only one who found his need to use expletive language offensive. I am surprised that some folks don't understnad why I found it offensive. Doesn't my signature line tell them anything?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef

well, drew magary is no dave barry, that's for sure. but this piece of his had some very funny s__t in it in places, and i think he has demonstrated some decent potential for writing comedic material. the explicit language was not so much heavy-handed as it was unevenly, and not very skillfully, applied. in some places it was overly self-conscious, or simply ineffectively or awkwardly used. i agree with some of the previous posters that the author's writing suffers at times from being mean-spirited--his good sense of the sardonic at times tends to run amok, and sarcastic humor gets buried or diminished by his poorly disguised and unnecessary hostility.

overall, i like magary's style of humor, though. all he needs are some minor adjustments to the negativity, and his overly conscious use of profanity, imo....

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Sous Chef

never heard of him. don't care. guys foulmouthed imo.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Ok, I wasn't impressed, and I happen to love Williams-Sonoma, and I was looking at one of their catalogs this morning. I got bored reading it and stopped, so maybe it got funny later in the article.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone is so upset over a few words.

Words are just a bunch of letters bunched together until an individual attaches emotion to them.

There are more offensive things in the world than a bunch of words.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecar View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone is so upset over a few words.

Words are just a bunch of letters bunched together until an individual attaches emotion to them.

There are more offensive things in the world than a bunch of words.
Here are some letters bunched together with some truly attached meaning in them:
"Welcome to Discuss Cooking jessecar. Hope you have a great down under Thanksgiving"
Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

When a person feels a need to describe something in their life with foul language, it tells me that there is a serious lack of education in the English language department. The parents and school system failed this person. Certainly not qualified for any job that requires a written report.

jesscar, I understand that you are presently experiencing some lovely weather, while we are preparing for winter. Go outside and enjoy the fresh air. Think of us in the cold, all bundled up and just hoping for sunshine. Put a big smile on your face and just say "Hello" to a total stranger. Do it to an elderly person. You would be sruprised at how good that person will feel for the rest of the day.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The writer has potential, but could use a good editor.

He obviously doesn't care much for good espresso. My espresso maker, without a built in grinder, costs about $500. It was a wedding present, so I know it is 15 years old. I would buy another one if it broke. At least I won't be spending the $2,000 or so that a friend of mine spent on her fancy, with built in grinder, espresso machine. Neither one of us has any servants.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The writer has potential, but could use a good editor.

He obviously doesn't care much for good espresso. My espresso maker, without a built in grinder, costs about $500. It was a wedding present, so I know it is 15 years old. I would buy another one if it broke. At least I won't be spending the $2,000 or so that a friend of mine spent on her fancy, with built in grinder, espresso machine. Neither one of us has any servants.

oh tl, do tell us more about your espresso machine. how good is the espresso, how often do you make it, who gave you a five hundred dollar wedding gift....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
oh tl, do tell us more about your espresso machine. how good is the espresso, how often do you make it, who gave you a five hundred dollar wedding gift....
A bunch of friends got together and bought it. They twisted my arm for a list for the shower. I was thinking group gift of a $100 dollar espresso machine. If half the attendees of the shower had kicked in $10 each, that would have covered it.

I make espresso almost every single day. I can manage to do it first thing in the morning, before my first coffee. I don't think it makes better espresso than a cheaper espresso machine would make. The advantage of this one is that it is still going strong after 15 years. I think the kind of coffee makes a bigger difference, but I may be wrong.

Now you got me thinking about espresso, so I went and made one.