An Army lab figured out how to make pizza last for 3 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately the MRE-ification of our food is becoming more common, as manufacturers figure out ways to extend the shelf life of foods longer and longer. They play around with the chemicals, recipes, and packaging to make things have longer shelf lives and not require refrigeration in transport to the stores.

It's important now more than ever to try to buy locally sourced and organics. It's expensive, though. I try to stick to the outer walls of the supermarket that have whole foods -- produce, deli, and meat dept.. All that processed food crap is in the middle aisles.

I was behind a family recently in line at the checkout, and they had total junk in their cart. Like 10 cartons of Mountain Dew, Pepsi, boxes and boxes of chicken nuggets, frozen pizzas, french fries. Ugh. No salads or produce. I think there might have been a couple cans of veggies.

It's important now more than ever to try to buy locally sourced and organics. It's expensive, though. I try to stick to the outer walls of the supermarket that have whole foods -- produce, deli, and meat dept.. All that processed food crap is in the middle aisles.

Eating mostly fresh foods is important, but lots of places don't have reasonable options for locally sourced food in the off season, and many people can't afford it. Even in the height of summer, citrus and other tropical fruits won't survive in most of the United States.

Organics, eh? You must have missed this recent discussion: http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...-use-what-do-you-use-95072-4.html#post1455721

I only mention it so you can read the links, if you choose.

Back
Top Bottom