Ancillary question to "what are you reading"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zhizara, glad you know about Project Gutenberg. I feel like I've been trying to teach my granny to suck eggs.

One of my friends has an e-reader and says that most stuff is cheaper for it. I think I heard that some books are available for e-reader before they are available in hard copy. I might be mistaken.

I have a Kindle and love it. Most books are cheaper than the printed version. I have gotten a couple books that start a series for free as well. Some of the public domain books are free downloads, some are a $1.

I'm pretty much limited to WalMart for books, but they've had some good ones. It adds up, though.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get a Kindle or some such. Once you've invested in the reader, are the books expensive?

Books in the library are the least expensive of all. I found regular visits to the library can keep me going for a long time.

Z: Just noticed you said you weren't close to a library.

Last edited:
she could check and see if her local library has books by mail. mine does. it is free not even mailing charges. i need to mail my application, haven't got a stamp til i go out. i'm thinking it will save me many bucks.

Length of book makes no real difference. I have recently realized that I tend to gravitate toward authors who write short chapters, for whatever reason.

Series are great! Can't get into the Harry Potter series, for whatever reason, however.

As far as buying books is concerned, our local libraries have book sales rooms where they clear out discontinued books and donations they can't use. Recently picked up about 15 between my SO and myself for about 8 dollars. All hardbacks in excellent condition except for one paperback. Pretty good haul.

i'm not much of a reader; can't seem to slow down long enough to devote time to taking in info at that pace.

but a friend just recommended a book to me: the function of reason, by alfred north whitehead.

since it's only 100 pages or so, i thought i'd look to find it and give it a try.

so yes, shorter books appeal to me more, i guess.

Back
Top Bottom