"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

And Lauren Bacall

Died yesterday (Tuesday), aged a few weeks off 90. Another star of stage and screen is gone.

I saw her on stage in Manchester in Tennesse Williams' "Sweet Bird of Youth" in about 1985. I can remember nothing of the play except her performance. Such presence.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Grand Lady, long life! RIP!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
Master Chef

She sure was glamour personified. I don't watch many of the old B&W movies, but if Himself has a Bogie and Bacall movie going I generally gravitate to the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...I saw her on stage in Manchester in Tennesse Williams' "Sweet Bird of Youth" in about 1985. I can remember nothing of the play except her performance. Such presence.
I know what you mean. Back in the 1980s we went with friends to see "Camelot" starting Sir Richard Harris. The man could not sing a whit, but Jim and I (both of us had done community theatre shows ourselves) still sat transfixed, totally in awe of the fact that we were in the same venue as Sir Richard, breathing the same air. Needless to say, our respective spouses were sitting at the outsides of our 4-across arrangement, leaning away from the two of us singing oh-so-softly to half the songs!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
She sure was glamour personified. I don't watch many of the old B&W movies, but if Himself has a Bogie and Bacall movie going I generally gravitate to the living room.

I know what you mean. Back in the 1980s we went with friends to see "Camelot" starting Sir Richard Harris. The man could not sing a whit, but Jim and I (both of us had done community theatre shows ourselves) still sat transfixed, totally in awe of the fact that we were in the same venue as Sir Richard, breathing the same air. Needless to say, our respective spouses were sitting at the outsides of our 4-across arrangement, leaning away from the two of us singing oh-so-softly to half the songs!
Only half? Camelot is my most favorite and I am jealous!