"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Angry, just a tad!

About 25 years ago, we built the home we now live in..At the time our contractor came to me and asked if I'd like the leftover scraps of wood to burn in our fireplace? Sure I said, so he had the men stack it neatly..It being summer then I forgot about it til one evening the kids thought they might like a fire, well by golly all the scrap was gone. I find out about 6 months later that our dear next door neighbor, about 1/4 mile away had done us a huge favor and came with her DH's pickup and loaded it up and used it in her fireplace!!! This she told me as she handed me open mail (mine) she had for 2 weeks..Okay..Over and done with. It's now 25 years later, we had a large cottonwood tree cut down 2 weeks ago and had it left so we could cut and stack it to burn after it weathered some..Okay, I'm here typing to all of you about taking the kids to have pictures taken and my dog and my mom's dog both blow a gaskit and I hear an electric something start up..I go to the front and guess what?? Same neighbor, husband in tow with saw is starting to cut and put the limbs in her pickup!!! Well let me tell ya, I just had a fit. I'm afraid I wasn't very nice, called her a thief and ran um off...I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can justify taking from someone without even asking and then get uppity about it. Telling me they were helping me clean up my yard.Yep just like the last time... Was I angry?
Just a tad How would you have dealt with this? Had she been needy or even asked for some of the wood, it would have been my pleasure, but this couple have a lot of land and money. I just don't understand...
kadesma

Old 06-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'd be angry too. Had they asked first fine but to just drive up in your yard and help themselves totally different situation.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Oh man would I have gone nuts on them. That is stealing plain and simple. You were a lot kinder than I would have been. I am sorry you had to go through that (twice)!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
yeah... .I would have been mad! Though I would have made Paul go yell at them instead of doing it myself. I'm a big chicken and find it hard to make people believe that I'm angry with them. Can you say wimp??
Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm with pds, I'd have sent Ryan out. Confronation is not my specialty, I end up looking like the one in the wrong. dh can say one sentence in a calm way that makes them feel like ****. Sorry kadesma, maybe she thinks since you've known eachother for so long she would help herself but even family should ask!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I would be really mad and you did the right thing if they do it again put a restraining order on them.By the way taking someone elses mail is a Federal Offence
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
By the way taking someone elses mail is a Federal Offence

And it was opened ontop of it ! Even worse
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior Cook

This is as astonishing to me as the time a neighbor trimmed some trees in his yard, threw the trimmings into my yard, and then had the temerity to come over and yell at me after I threw them back. How can you deal with people like this?

There is no explaining the way some people think. Sounds like you live in a fairly rural area. I'd be tempted to put up a "Trespassers will be Prosecuted" sign (or "Shot" or "Violated" ) or some such, though no doubt this "lady" would say to whoever would listen "We weren't trespassing, we're the neighbors!" and truly feel this justified her presence on your property.

Bummer. Hope you scared 'em off for good!

Kelly
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

Some folks just do not have respect for anybody else's property. Kadesma, I would have been made, too. Good for you for running them off and standing up for yourself.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 06-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
Head Chef

The nerve! Way to go, kades!! I'm proud of you! I would have been so mad...stealing firewood in these parts is like horse-thievin' in the Old West.

Closed Thread