"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Ankle Weights

I have been walking over 4 miles everyday. Family think it is waste of time that I could get by w/walking 30 minutes. Maybe they think I use too much time on myself. I want to continue and would like to make walk more intense. I have walked w/hand weights but family told me to drop hand weights and use ankle weights. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks for your thoughts. Can't believe the energy it gives me. Better than sitting. Only wish I could take the dogs. They are really starting to feel the results of the diabetes. I am amazed that they are doing as well since I started the shots so long ago. Only proves that give them the right diet and medication and they will respond. Person has to be commited to anything to get results they want. Right?

Old 06-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Walk! It's great exercize. While you can get a minimum of benefit from a 30 minute walk, longer walks give you more benefit.

Besides, you enjoy it and it's good for you. Why stop??

Old 06-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
If you want more intense for your legs then yes use ankle weights.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Appreciate

Andy and middie thanks for your input. I am really confused when they tell me something due to the fact I do so much for them. When I want to better myself in some way they take all incentive out of it. Isn't that typical of most families? The one who does always has to do? does that make sense? As I said, I feel it gives me energy to continue to do the mundane work I have to do every day. Thanks again for response. I know you guys are for me. We need each other.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

ITK,
if walking makes you feel better and you enjoy it, keep walking!!! Don't let anyone spoil that pleasure for you. There are times in our lives when we need to be a little selfish and I don't mean by hurting others. I just mean, we need to be healthy and feel well to care for others so keep doing what is best for you. Think of yourself, then it's easy to do for others. Bravo to you...

kadesma
Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I agree! If it makes you feel good go for it!
Being happy and healthy will help you be even a better happier nicer person for your family.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
Master Chef

ITK, it seems we've discussed exercise before. I don't recommend ankle weights for the amount you're walking. They're fine for leg lifts and such, and hand weights for part of your walk are OK (when I have to shorten my walk I sometimes carry weights). The bad thing about ankle weights is they can pull on your lower back.

The main thing is to enjoy your walks. 4 miles is very reasonable, in my opinion. Yes, I think you are right about friends and relatives who think you're exercising too much. 4 miles is very reasonable. Sometimes people don't like anything that takes attention away from them. I don't think an hour or two to yourself is too much to ask.

My dogs could not possibly walk a full hour, and they'd slow me down. Hubby walks for an hour a day (at a brisk walk, for most people that is around 4 miles). I walk to the gym (1 1/2 mile round trip) with an hour exercise class in between, 2-3X/wk, then walk a completely vertical mile 2/wk to read to shut-in friends. I don't think your plan is unreasonable, and I think those who criticize it are probably selfish and are demanding ALL of your time.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Walking is great exercise! I personally wouldnt use the ankle weights because I tend to get shin splints, but hey, if it works for you, then go for it! If your family objects, too bad for them :)
Old 06-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I also walk every day. Walkers discourage the use of any kind of weight. You don't want to slow yourself down or cause undue stress on any joints by the use of weights. Four miles a day is wonderful for your heart. My heart doctor said that the minimum cardio exercise for a healthy heart is 30 minutes 4-7 days a week. You're doing great.

BC
Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Head Chef

Add me with the 'no extra weight' group. Walking is excellent exercise. If you want to increase the cardio workout, walk faster or farther. 'Weight' training for muscle development is something completely different, yet never involves the ankle weights you describe.