"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs
sent you a message!
sent you one back but you're full, clear some space out please so you can receive it

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````

Update, spoke to Human Resources yesterday upon checking in to work. Behind closed doors and she said to talk to our Section manager, which I will do.
She also said it wouldn't hurt to write her, the person in question, a note/letter to let her know of my concern. I'll also try to remember who she's friend with and try and contact any of them. I know I'm going to seem like a busy body and sticking my nose in by those who already know of this going on. Who cares, I only care what happens to her.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

cleared space, i''m ditzy occasionally!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

LEFSE,

I'm no expert with eating disorders, however, I took a sociology course which a friend of mine teaches. She is also involved in a centre for eating disorders in London, Ontario, Canada. Her advise was that it's best to get professional advise before approaching someone with an eating disorder. I'm sure that there is a centre like the one in London in your area that could offer you some advise.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Lefs, if she was a close friend (or not), I would speak to her and say, 'you look like you've lost weight," and wait for her reply. If she chooses to share, she will. If not, I would leave it alone.

You mentioned you don't see her for long stretches, and she's always been thin. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, based on what other people (coworkers) think they know. She may or may not have any number of illnesses - HIV, undergoing chemo - you just don't know.

I would stay far away from Human Resources and Supervisors. This is her livelihood; and she may have insurance (thru work) paying her medical bills. Since, you've already spoken to HR, I'd stop and not go any further with people in your mutual work place - coworkers too. Truth is, the company is Management, and they want productive/well workers. I don't want to upset you, but I hope you haven't caused her more problems by going to Management. I might be afraid, if they terminated her (wrongfully or otherwise), there could be ramifications like a lawsuit.

I know your intentions are the best, but I would try to talk to her or her family - not work. You said it would probably fall on deaf ears. You could ask her if she'd like to grab a cup of coffee & chat after work & get to know her. But, I wouldn't push, or leave notes on her desk. If she doesn't care to confide in you, sometimes you have to accept that & walk away - respect their privacy.

Just my opinion. Hope your friend gets better, if she is ill.

My best & hugs to you for caring.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef

update on 'thin' friend

I talked to a friend a few weeks ago at work. We were doing the "do you know this person, do you know that person" < from work. The lady's name came up that I'd told you all about in this thread.
I asked her if she'd seen her lately and she said not for years. I told her I had and that she was very thin in a scary way. She told me there ''has'' been intervention from 3 of her long time friends.
I don't know anything else, but at least, looks like someone's stepped in to try and help her.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
That's good to hear, LEFSE. Hopefully they stepped in before it was too late.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
I'm in the school of thought that you should try to do something. Not that it's anyones business, but I'm an alcoholic... and I can completely relate to the statement that whomever made about "you can't make me put food in my mouth." I don't plan on quitting drinking till I'm **** well good and ready to.

Not that it's a fair tactic, guilt trips seem to have an amazing amount of effectiveness. Of course, you always risk the chance of depressing them and them seeking their self destructive behavior to deal with the criticism. You're basically weighing "should I not get involved and cause problems, or deal with the fact I didn't get involved?"

You need to figure out what you want to do about the situation and do it. Don't let anyone else make it for you.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Last week, I saw this young woman. She greeted me with a hug, hadn't seen her in forever. We were both tired, had worked way too many hours, and it showed on both of us. Other than that though, she didn't look stick figure-ish to me. Still way too small, but better than before. It left me hopeful.
Just wanted to update.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I don't recall this thread, so I went to beginning and read the whole thing.
Knowing how you've spoken and worried about your son's friend, and his illness, isn't it just like you.
Dear soul that you are.
I'm so glad to see this post. For both of you.
Thanks for the update.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
Master Chef

that's great, lefse. keep an eye on her.