Anorexia help, if anyone knows anything, not me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's interesting.......just yesterday I saw the movie "Dying to Be Thin" based on a true story of an Olympic hopeful in gymnastics that nearly killed herself physically trying to rise to the coach's combativeness to lose weight and work harder.....she was literally killing herself in the process and tearing her family apart........I had a niece who went thru the same turmoil.........some times it's due to a very controlling parent usually the mother.... not always of course but I think true in my niece's case.. my sister was always on her case....always..believe me, my sister is very controlling........my niece actually confessed to me herself............I controlled my feelings and asked if she had gotten some counseling which she had.....she thought that she was better but the thoughts of getting fat never go away totally.......I've seen a recent photo of her with her young son and hubby and she looks healthy........so maybe all is okay now........I don't really know for sure..........do I worry? Of course I do..............

Hindsight tells me I was very nearly anorexic as a very young child - what I put in my mouth was the ONLY thing I felt I could control - my home was chaotic, I was an only child, there was alcohol and emotional abuse and an extremely controlling mother. I don't know what saved me but I am grateful. Of course now that I'm over 50 there is no danger - absolutely no danger at all that I will ever again be too thin! :pig:

At least in my case it was a control issue. You are ill-prepared to address the root problem for your friend but you can offer support and that may be what she most needs. Just offer her that - it may be her first step.

Hugs to you for your heartfelt outreach!

LEFSE - you...just being you...makes the world a better place. Possibly just seeing you is what she needed.

I was most definitely anorexic before that word was ever used (yea, before Karen Carpenter). Classic, clinical case. I won't even say what weight I got down to. I'm not sure what triggered it except I lost a few pounds and people told me I looked good - so I kept going and then couldn't stop. I got over it through a medical book my father left out on the coffee table. It was a medical book opened to a picture of this girl in her underwear. I said, "wow, that girl and I have the same body shape" (I couldn't wear a two-piece bathing suit because you could see straight down the waistband to my toes!!!! My father simply said - yes, you do. The caption said the girl was suffering from malnutrition. A switch flipped at that very moment = a MUCH NEEDED SWITCH FLIPPED...

Maybe you'll flip that switch for her {{{Suzi}}}!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom