"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Vet

My vet takes anything I bring off the street and takes care of it at no charge. Surprised me the first time but now I know he will help when he can. He thanks me for bringing it in. Pigeon I brought to him had broken leg. He told me could not be repaired. He said he would take care of it. Have to be so careful when you handle something as fragile as a bird. Bones easily break.

Thankful you have such a big heart. Your kindness will be returned. Priceless!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Mr HB keeps telling me that I'll probably get bird flu.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

lol alix, pulled a muscle?

hb, is the little bird wearing sweats and a headband, carrying a tiny tennis racket, maybe?

i'm sorry alix, that one cracked me up.

hb, is the bird quietly resting on it's back, feet in the air, and a tiny bucket overtunred next to it?? just kidding.

if the bird is holding one wing at a strange angle, the odds are that the wing is broken in some way, or dislocated. it could just be some broken feathers causing it to be unable to fold back neatly, or a bone could be broken.

the towel thing will work, but you'll risk injuring the bird further.

btw, i hope you had a good thick pillow case on the pillow. after a big meal, birds generally don't hold anything in too long, if you get my drift.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Univited bird

This reminded me of the time a black bird came in - How ? never knew - we have a toy poodle (going on 12yrs. now) he was in the kitchen, usually he eats when someone is in there w/him. I was watching t.v. and kept hearing him eating, (metal bowl),so I go out there and------- there was a Black Bird eating out of his bowl. Scared me to death! Joey (the dog) never barked once !!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
Head Chef

One of our cats once caught a robin and decided the best place to take it was our bedroom. I managed to get the cat out of the room and shut the door. The robin could fly but had a broken leg, so every time it landed, it just keeled over. After much phoning around, we found the nearby national park would take it in and nurse it back to health. So, we loosely filled a lightbulb box with shredded paper and tucked the bird in. The paper stopped the bird rattling around inside the box in transit. The people at the park were impressed! My partner had to sign away all his rights to the robin, as if he ever had any, and that was it. They assured him they'd be able to save the bird.

By way of a conclusion, our cat has never caught another bird since. Thank goodness.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
hb, is the little bird wearing sweats and a headband, carrying a tiny tennis racket, maybe?

Off to the closet. No sign of the bird this morning and I kept the bedroom doors closed....uh oh.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Friday 13

Thanks for all the kindness and laughs you all provided me with on this fateful day. Everyone telling me to be careful on Friday. So thankful I stopped to read this wonderful thread. buckytom you always make a difference. The thought of the 'extra' pillow covering reminded me of so many things when precaution wasn't practiced! Wonder if she did have extra? I appreciate you. This is so uplifting to me personally, that I am going to copy for the rest of the gang here to read. Will do them good to know they are not alone in their consideration of the small things in life.

HalfBaked you have to let us know how this all turns out. Just hope it isn't gone too quickly that I can't read it. Although I do receive email to let me know the additional comments which certainly is nice. Everything happens for a reason: you have to vaccum when the bird gets retreived!

I wish you all happy 13th and we all should feel safe.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #18
Executive Chef

The bird has completely disappeared. It is not in the bedroom at all. I emptied the closet and not a single bird footprint.

The seed hasn't been touched so I know that it was fine and must have flown out of the window sometime late yesterday afternoon.

My dogs have no bird feathers as toothpicks.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
Everymom

Dang it buckytom, you have GOT to stop making me laugh so hard. And hey, birds pull muscles too ya big meanie!

Jan, could the birdie have found its own way out by any chance?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Halk Baked that's great to hear !