Another Kitty Cat Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I know we have a bunch of kitty lovers her and I have a question.

I moved today and only had time at my old house to get one cat. He's my favorite, Mr. Charlie. Well, since he's got here today (I've brought him here twice before to get him acclimated a bit) he's been following me and loving on me and won't even eat. I took a shower and he sat in the bathroom. He did use his box (thank the gods) and hasn't tried to mark anything but it's really different behaviour for him to follow me from room to room.

Is this normal for a cat in a new environment?? My others traveled from Cali to North Carolina and didn't behave this way. Is he happy to be the only one here since his brothers and sisters are still at the other house? I don't mind him being loving, that's totally cool. I just don't want stress on him and I want to make sure he eats. I stood in the kitchen for a half hour while he picked at his food and drank some water. I worry most about water.

Anyone have any ideas?

don't worry it is perfectly normal. cats do not like change and need to be reassured when change happens. if i move anything large to another place in my house, thomas gets upset. he stays closer to me cause he feels safer. that is all your kitty is doing. he will eat and drink when he calms down just a bit. just pet and reassure him everything is ok.

babe:cool:

Yup, just be patient and loving and let him know all is well. Cat will explore and claim the territory as its own eventually.
Heck, my wife's cat wasn't seen for a year after we moved. Stayed in 1 room the entire time, with an occasional foray out, but not for long.
Do try to make sure Cat doesn't sneak outside and try to find "home".

It's been my experience that cats are more involved with their environments than dogs and that's why it's more difficult for them to change homes. Of course there are always exceptions but our cat is so linked to this house she is horribly upset when she's moved even to another familiar territory - ie MIL's house.

It's great that your kitty is getting soothing and reassurance by clinging to you - it must be his way of dealing with the stress of change and I might add - not a bad way at all at all. I'd be giving him some of his favorite treats and lots of extra loving and leaving something that smells very much like you (ie your pillow case) for him if you need to leave.

I just "evacuated" my mother and her 9 cats and 2 dogs from Houston to my little house near Corpus Christi last Monday. The 5 month old kittens didn't miss a beat and were ripping and romping within minutes. The 4 older cats (2 of which are over 10 years old) are acting just like yours. They follow us everywhere - even into the bathroom. And normally, they just sleep and eat and occasionally come over for some "lovin'". So I think Mr. Charlie is just getting used to his new digs, too. BTW, how do you like your new place?

...Do try to make sure Cat doesn't sneak outside and try to find "home".
One way to help ensure against this is to rub butter on his paws. When he licks the butter off, he will pick up the scent of his new home. I read about this years ago and have done it with all my cats since then.

:)Barbara

He just needs to settle into his new home and get use to being the only kitty in the house. Mine did the same thing, but I found they did their eating and drinking at night while I slept. I'm sure Mr. Charlie will be fine in a week or so.

The fact that he is using the box, is a good sign ( hopefully he continues). Soon he will find his favorite places to lay in the sun throughout the day, and everything will be fine.I had one cat ( Bruce) who made 4 moves within a 5 years period and adjusted fine with each move ( over time).

Also the quicker you can relocate the others to be with him will help settle him. Confining him to one room with a few of your items and his will help to reassure him. Cats freak out over change very easily. They like security big time. Spend lots of quality time with him in "his" room so he knows he isn't being abandoned. If you have the money, you can also get a phernome (sp?) spray to help him settle.

let him follow you, you're his Parent, he's anxious & you're comforting.
my 2 threw fits when i sent them to my Mum & Dad since my landlord was adament, Charlotte hissed incessently fer a week er 2. at my Mom, her food, other felines.....
they adjusted.
thier Mommy still misses ker kiddos dearly, though, & didn't adjust so well as them!!!

Back
Top Bottom