Another reason to stock up a bit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stocking up is good as we need to save where we can. My baby just started drinking whole milk and that alone is costing a fortune!

I try and keep a stock up, prices are climbing on a daily basis, so if i see my most used items on special, i stock up where and when i can ... ;)

Just read an article in this morning's Metro saying how people are finding innovative ways to save. Imagine ...people are making their own coffee again:rolleyes:.

It's hard for me to stock up. From my business ethics, stocking up means inventory on the shelf instead of money in the bank. That behaviour carries over to my home shopping characteristics. That, coupled with the fact that my kitchen (at home) and it's pantry are the size of postage stamps. What I have done is cut back on the size of a meal I'll prepare, opting to have it all consumed in one sitting, rather than having leftover sit around for days that no one may consume. I hate throwing food away.

Do those of you who do stock up ever find that you actually have more than you can use before it's outdated?

I can't even stock up anymore. Things are getting quite tight around here and I've been needing to use the stock..... I have less to spend and that amount brings even less home than it used to.
I don't think I've ever stocked up so much to the point that it gets outdated though.... being 5 of us here and having family gatherings here a lot, I manage to use things up pretty well.

i guess i am "off the chart" when it comes to stocking up on foods. My home canned goods do not come with a "use by" date:). I do label the year they are canned.

I don't stock up to save money. I produce as much of my own foods because I want to know how those foods were produced. And I refuse to go to the store to buy one item needed for a recipe.

okay, i'll be honest, I hate to go shopping, I hate to leave the homestead for food purchases. So I keep on hand ingredients so I can cook\bake at my whim. I keep any items in the freezer that may go bad, such as whole wheat flour, bulk baking yeast, nuts, meats, brown rice, granola ingredients (except oats), herbs, spices. I buy herbs and spices by the pound. I buy organic oats by the 50 pound bag and store it in the cool basement. That bag of oats lasts about 6 months to 8 months. I probably do save money doing this, but that is not my motivation. I could not guess how long we could eat on our stores, but it would be months. Flour would be the first item I would run out of. I don't have the room to store much flour.

hubby does not believe in stocking up. Being on fixed income, we really can't stock up anyway. We buy food as needed.

:)I've stocked up a little, mostly canned goods, beans, rice and coffee. All the canned stuff has a 2010 expiration. I also wait until there is a sale a while back I got some canned vergetable 5 for $2.00. Didn't get as much as I could have. I noticed dog food has gone way up.

Stocking up is good as we need to save where we can. My baby just started drinking whole milk and that alone is costing a fortune!
:) Have you thought of mixing powdered milk with the fresh? My mother used to mix up 1/2 powdered and 1/2 fresh to stretch it further. We hated it but the baby may not mind it.

...Do those of you who do stock up ever find that you actually have more than you can use before it's outdated?

Most of my stocking up is for the freezer. When I do buy perishables, I sometimes don't get to them in time. I just tossed a quart of plain yogurt that had seen better days. Other times, I see something that's getting old and scramble to use it right away.

I do stock up when meat is on sale come to think of it..... the buy 1 get 1 free always helps. I missed it last week tho I only had $40 for the week for groceries. Can you believe we didn't starve either? I've noticed now with things tighter that I was buying ALOT more snacks than I thought I did.
Great time for a diet.... can't afford bein' fat! :)

Last edited:
:) Have you thought of mixing powdered milk with the fresh? My mother used to mix up 1/2 powdered and 1/2 fresh to stretch it further. We hated it but the baby may not mind it.

We had powdered milk when I was a kid. When my mom switched to fresh milk when I was in middle school, we didn't like it :glare: Took a while to get used to. The baby probably won't even notice.

Freezer stocking, making alot of my own stuff like stocks and sauces. Using every part of the animal I can. (somewhat limited, but I try not to let anything go to waste.) Compost veggies and clippings. Growing some of my own food and herbs.

Also do like Andy does.... If I see something getting close, then I whip it up in a dish. Kinda like my gumbo last night. All things that needed to be used and it was quite good!

The price of meat, chicken, eggs, dairy etc is supposedly going to skyrocket in the coming months. As well as anything corn or soy-based.

I plan to stock up on chicken and beef and freeze it. If I see sales on things like butter I'll stock up on that, too. Though I doubt we'll see sales.

I just stocked up on a lot of chicken. I got whole chickens for $.79 a pound and cu them up and froze them.

i shop on line for groceries, once a month. so am used to thinking ahead. i do have back-up on some things. ie pasta, different kinds and shapes.

yesterday ordered white beans at 5 for a $5.00 love to eat em and will also make white chili with them.

if i have much stock up stuff, it is because i buy value packs of chicken, ground beef and other meat i portion out and freeze.

mostly it is canned goods though.

am going to see how i fare making my own bread. i know price of bread in store is very high. one loaf costs as much as five pounds flour. we shall see.

milk prices are just crazy. hard to stock up. no room to freeze it. i do drink a lot of milk and use it in cooking, baking. so guess will continue to buy.

i understand a limited food budget. stops me from stocking up the way i would like to.

babe:dry::dry:

Last edited:
The price of meat, chicken, eggs, dairy etc is supposedly going to skyrocket in the coming months. As well as anything corn or soy-based.

I was going to say "what's left?"....:ermm: Pork and fish come to mind. I just saw on the news that with all the corn lost in the recent flooding, the price of feeding the pigs will double by the end of the month. There goes the price of pork. Fish hasn't been inexpensive since the last year we were still British.:glare: Did you know the captured british soldiers actually complained about inhuman treatment because they were fed lobster daily. It was easire and more abundant to catch and serve a lobster than to feed and kill a chicken.

We eat often at a little "restaurant" up the street from us that is actually someone's backyard, with about 10 plastic tables and some tarps in case it rains. It is probably the best Mexican food I have ever eaten...enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, empanadas - all fresh and all good. Last week, 6 of us had dinner for less than $200 pesos ($20 USD). OK, I'm getting to the point: there are usually chickens running around in the yard. Last night, DH and I went there to eat and noticed that the chickens were gone. Guess we were eating them!!

Back
Top Bottom