Another Use For Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Between gardening and pitting a bunch of cherries, my fingernails got stained. I mean, really stained. I rarely do manicures, and I hate wearing gloves. In attempts to get rid of the stains, I buffed, I soaked, I used a toothbrush, vinegar, baking soda, was tempted to try bleach, you name it. Nothing on the internet was helpful. Then while I was de-tarnishing a spoon with a Magic Eraser, I figured why not try a ME on my nails? Looked on line, nothing about doing that. So I tried it, and it worked like a charm! Fingernail stains are gone! I buffed again, put on some lotion, and nails are good as new!

Nothing poisonous, it's just melamine. I'm really pleased! I can go out in public and take my hands out of my pockets!

Last edited:
Cool! I wonder if it works for Sharpie marker...I let a 5 year old color my finger nails.

Apparently it does! No mention of nails, but it does take Sharpie marks off other surfaces.

they have removed so many things- i splashed wine onto my closet years ago. lysol failed to clean that away. various spray cleaners, too. erasers took those stains away within minutes. i use giant eagle ones, though, rather than actual ones. i was told that they're better; & they're slightly less in cost, & so i buy them.

I love Magic Erasers and keep them in my tool box.

I once was putting up shelf's and drew a pencil line on the wrong side of the level. I asked the girl cleaning the house if she had something to clean it off. She gave me a Magic Eraser and it worked like a charm. I'd have kissed her if she'd accepted a kiss from an ugly SOB like me. I've carried them in the tool box ever since.

Nice to know they'll clean fingernails. But will they help heal nails split across the finger? :rolleyes: Perhaps I should give it a try. ;)

Between gardening and pitting a bunch of cherries, my fingernails got stained. I mean, really stained. I rarely do manicures, and I hate wearing gloves. In attempts to get rid of the stains, I buffed, I soaked, I used a toothbrush, vinegar, baking soda, was tempted to try bleach, you name it. Nothing on the internet was helpful. Then while I was de-tarnishing a spoon with a Magic Eraser, I figured why not try a ME on my nails? Looked on line, nothing about doing that. So I tried it, and it worked like a charm! Fingernail stains are gone! I buffed again, put on some lotion, and nails are good as new!

Nothing poisonous, it's just melamine. I'm really pleased! I can go out in public and take my hands out of my pockets!
:LOL: Before ME were available (I thought they were 800 grit sandpaper?), I used to do a lot of fiber dyeing. Inevitably, I would take off my gloves and then handle the fiber with my bare hands. (I am allergic to latex and my hands sweat like crazy in vinyl gloves or rubber gloves). Bleach works. But then, bleach and vinegar are two things I wish I could buy in 55 gal. drums....

A word of warning. ME is an abrasive. Over use on any painted surface will leave a abrasion mark that will be visible.

Yes. I probably wouldn't use it on my jewelry, but it worked great on a teaspoon.

I don't know if I'd trust something abrasive with the family silver, jennyema. ;)

Dawg, do you have any recipe for a good, homemade jewelry cleaner? I've checked around but haven't tried any yet. Just wondering.

... (I am allergic to latex and my hands sweat like crazy in vinyl gloves or rubber gloves)...
Latex irritates my skin too CW. I started to use nyplex gloves that do not have any latex, but they aren't lined as nice as the Playtex Living Gloves were and my hands would sweat. In fact, I had a very bad flare-up of eczema that made me go get a pair of those cotton gloves they sell in drug stores. Then the light bulb went off: I could probably wear that kind of glove inside the "rubber" gloves and end up not sweating. It worked! I then dug out every pair of cotton fashion gloves I had acquired over the years, and I change them out often. Haven't had an eczema flair-up since. AND now I've jinxed myself, haven't I? :ermm:

CG, nothing homemade other than a piece of flannel. I use a couple Connoisseurs products I got from Walmart, the polishing cloth and the jewelry dip. They do a great job on my sterling silver jewelry.

I don't know if I'd trust something abrasive with the family silver, jennyema. ;)

Dawg, do you have any recipe for a good, homemade jewelry cleaner? I've checked around but haven't tried any yet. Just wondering.

Latex irritates my skin too CW. I started to use nyplex gloves that do not have any latex, but they aren't lined as nice as the Playtex Living Gloves were and my hands would sweat. In fact, I had a very bad flare-up of eczema that made me go get a pair of those cotton gloves they sell in drug stores. Then the light bulb went off: I could probably wear that kind of glove inside the "rubber" gloves and end up not sweating. It worked! I then dug out every pair of cotton fashion gloves I had acquired over the years, and I change them out often. Haven't had an eczema flair-up since. AND now I've jinxed myself, haven't I? :ermm:
I got some of those light cotton gloves to wear inside of the gloves when working in the food industry. I still went through so many pairs of gloves I gotten written up for wasting gloves!

they have removed so many things- i splashed wine onto my closet years ago. lysol failed to clean that away. various spray cleaners, too. erasers took those stains away within minutes. i use giant eagle ones, though, rather than actual ones. i was told that they're better; & they're slightly less in cost, & so i buy them.
Good for tea and coffee stains in cups, etc. The trouble is they are melamine and not very biodegradable. On the other hand they last a long time if you don't junk them until you absolutely have to.

:
Some good ideas here but do not use on turquoise, opals, pearls or any soft precious or semi precious stones. If you have anything valuable (either financial or sentimental) which you would be upset to have spoiled don't mess about - take it to a reputable jeweler.

Clean Your Diamond Ring! | Clean My Space

Incidentally some antique diamond rings (late Georgian and mid- to late-Victorian) have a metallic coating on the back to enhance the sparkle which can easily be mistaken for dirt in an open backed setting. Be careful that you don't damage this when cleaning.

I have read about the following home silver cleaning. Don't use it on any silver where there is a nice patina in the pattern. It will clean it away and you won't see the pattern as well anymore.

Put some aluminium foil in a bowl. Add some very hot water, baking soda, and salt. Put the silver on the aluminium. All the silver should touch the aluminium or a piece of silver that is touching the aluminium.

One of these days I will try it on some silver jewellery isn't supposed to have patina.

I have read about the following home silver cleaning. Don't use it on any silver where there is a nice patina in the pattern. It will clean it away and you won't see the pattern as well anymore.

Put some aluminium foil in a bowl. Add some very hot water, baking soda, and salt. Put the silver on the aluminium. All the silver should touch the aluminium or a piece of silver that is touching the aluminium.

One of these days I will try it on some silver jewellery isn't supposed to have patina.

Washing soda works too. I would only use it on something that is more or less hopeless, I would not use it on anything valuable.

Quick tip!

Look on the packages of store brand magic erasers. If they say, "made in germany" they are the same exact material as the Magic Erasers, made by BASF in Germany. If they say "made in china" they are not. The made in china ones do the trick just fine, but some say that they tend to break down faster. They are just melamine foam.

You can get big pack of them really cheap from Amazon and Ebay, often shipped from China, they are a bit smaller, but when you get a pack of 100 for less than 10 cents a sponge, it's a great deal.

Great tip, Bakechef! I got the bulk pack of MEs from Costco. And as luck would have it, they're made in Germany.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom