"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another Use For Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

Between gardening and pitting a bunch of cherries, my fingernails got stained. I mean, really stained. I rarely do manicures, and I hate wearing gloves. In attempts to get rid of the stains, I buffed, I soaked, I used a toothbrush, vinegar, baking soda, was tempted to try bleach, you name it. Nothing on the internet was helpful. Then while I was de-tarnishing a spoon with a Magic Eraser, I figured why not try a ME on my nails? Looked on line, nothing about doing that. So I tried it, and it worked like a charm! Fingernail stains are gone! I buffed again, put on some lotion, and nails are good as new!

Nothing poisonous, it's just melamine. I'm really pleased! I can go out in public and take my hands out of my pockets!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I love those things!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cool! I wonder if it works for Sharpie marker...I let a 5 year old color my finger nails.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Apparently it does! No mention of nails, but it does take Sharpie marks off other surfaces.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'll go dig one out.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #6
Master Chef

they have removed so many things- i splashed wine onto my closet years ago. lysol failed to clean that away. various spray cleaners, too. erasers took those stains away within minutes. i use giant eagle ones, though, rather than actual ones. i was told that they're better; & they're slightly less in cost, & so i buy them.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Head Chef

I love Magic Erasers and keep them in my tool box.

I once was putting up shelf's and drew a pencil line on the wrong side of the level. I asked the girl cleaning the house if she had something to clean it off. She gave me a Magic Eraser and it worked like a charm. I'd have kissed her if she'd accepted a kiss from an ugly SOB like me. I've carried them in the tool box ever since.

Nice to know they'll clean fingernails. But will they help heal nails split across the finger? Perhaps I should give it a try.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Between gardening and pitting a bunch of cherries, my fingernails got stained. I mean, really stained. I rarely do manicures, and I hate wearing gloves. In attempts to get rid of the stains, I buffed, I soaked, I used a toothbrush, vinegar, baking soda, was tempted to try bleach, you name it. Nothing on the internet was helpful. Then while I was de-tarnishing a spoon with a Magic Eraser, I figured why not try a ME on my nails? Looked on line, nothing about doing that. So I tried it, and it worked like a charm! Fingernail stains are gone! I buffed again, put on some lotion, and nails are good as new!

Nothing poisonous, it's just melamine. I'm really pleased! I can go out in public and take my hands out of my pockets!
Before ME were available (I thought they were 800 grit sandpaper?), I used to do a lot of fiber dyeing. Inevitably, I would take off my gloves and then handle the fiber with my bare hands. (I am allergic to latex and my hands sweat like crazy in vinyl gloves or rubber gloves). Bleach works. But then, bleach and vinegar are two things I wish I could buy in 55 gal. drums....
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

A word of warning. ME is an abrasive. Over use on any painted surface will leave a abrasion mark that will be visible.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

They de tarnish, too?

Tags
other