"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

I just recently "discovered" this show on The Travel Channel & LOVE it!!!

Tonight's episode was a repeat, but with a new introductory opening by Mr. Bourdain citing it as one of his favorites. It was his visit to Malaysia - & was FABULOUS!!! I was particularly interested as my husband gave me a cookbook on Malaysian cooking for Xmas.

And for anyone interested, the new (3rd) series of "No Reservations" starts this coming Monday (New Year's Day) at 10 p.m.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I think the show is strangely fascinating. I have learned a lot about many cultures that I will probably never visit. His manner is both gruff and gracious at the same time and his narration is candid. I don't make it a point to watch the show, but if I'm flipping channels and see it on, I will sit and watch the whole episode.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

I don't know how many people here have seen them, but this show reminds me of the Warren Miller Ski movies for some reason.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I LOVE the show.

New episodes start on New Years Day!

and Warren Miller films, FTW! We watched Snowriders lastnight actually.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:12 AM   #15
Sous Chef

My three favorite celebrity cooks who couldn't be more different from one another are Anthony Bourdain, Alton Brown, and Thomas Keller (not really a big TV star, but famous nonetheless). Each has a different attitude and approach to the pursuit of food nirvana.

Anthony is open, honest, and himself... which I appreciate. I've seen a few episodes of his show (despite the fact that I don't have TV/Cable) and I've read Kitchen Confidential which was fantastic - sort of an autobiography of his younger years in and around the kitchen.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:20 AM   #16
Master Chef

I think to really "get" his TV persona you need to read Kitchen Confidential and learn about his addictions, his childhood, and what his wife has lived with. As for the smokes? It's a better addiction than his previous one! I, too, agree with all that it is good to see someone who seems real on the tube.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i absolutely love the show. like gb said, it is the complete opposite of the perky verbal vomit that comes out of rr's show in $40 semolians a day. if he likes something, he says so. if he thinks it's disgusting, he'll still try it, but then holds nothing back on his comments about the dish, and then makes wry and often humorous remarks about a culture that would eat that slime, all the while being a gracious traveler, not a tourist. his sense of humor and delivery is a little crass or vulgar, but it doesn't bother me in the least. i think the show is very interesting, and very funny at times.
I couldn't agree more by 110%! I personally think the show is quite refreshing to see someone who has more of a smart a$$ and is actually honest about how he feels whether it be good or bad. RR is so scripted it's enough to make you gag. I still have yet to understand how she got her position on the network since she's got no experience other than a counter girl at a dept store. Sorry to be a little sarcastic there but you know, there's a big difference between being perky and over doing it than actually being yourself and making a point on your views.

I remember the first time when I'd seen Anthony's show, it caught me off guard a little by the way he carried himself but at the same time it was quite intriguing due to how willing he was to try anything new within the different cultures - that's what makes the show refreshing and exciting to watch; there's never a dull moment whether it be through his little quirky comments or the different places he goes. I suppose it's the eccentricity that could be a large factor to his viewing audience.

In my opinion, he does quite well. I like watching the show and his adventures across the globe.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #18
Cook

I agree that he seem to be real, which is too rare a thing, but think that a big part of his reality is being outrageously, and not necessarily justifiably, full of himself.

I've worked with/for some really awesome chefs (not necessarily famous) that I could never equal professionally - but many just aren't worth it. The food is not 'everything'.

RR is, simply put, a pop star. Not a one of her shows does a thing for me. Smokin' hot though:))

I really like Alton Brown.

I really want to like Emeril more than I do - but don't think fame has helped in presenting what he has to offer.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
Master Chef

Oh - & for you "night owls" out there, The Travel Channel is currently showing a marathon of his shows. I don't know exactly when they started, but I've been watching since 9 p.m. & the shows are running until 3 a.m.!!!!

If I manage to keep my eyes propped open I'm going to be one tired cookie tomorrow - lol!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Blackwell
I really like Alton Brown. I really want to like Emeril more than I do - but don't think fame has helped in presenting what he has to offer.
Alton is good. The few times I've watched, it's interesting how the explination of ingredients between using and origination is learning with the spice of comedy. I think that's what makes the show personally. Emeril has his moments but the "bam" and "take it up a notch" I can tolerate only so much of after awhile.

The chef I tend to favor is Mario Bartoli. I watch him and how he makes his dishes. My great grandmother was from Sicilly and my great grandfather from Naples. I learned both styles of traditional cooking when I was a child as she had me in the kitchen at the age of 13 to learn family dishes. Through his cooking I look for new ways add twist to an old tradition