Anti Bullying Pink Shirt Day - Feb 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Alix, I was hoping to post something about this but my day has been a hectic one so far.

I am wearing pink today, but I also have this cause on my heart always. I was a victim of bullying all my life growing up and even into adulthood. It is something that no one should ever have to deal with.

are boys supposed to wear pink?

'cause that'll get your butt kicked in most places. :rolleyes:

LOL!

That would definitely get some guys butt kicked around here.

The bullies could always justify getting away with it by saying "Well he wore a pink shirt!" :angel:

Who decides what colors people should wear on the anti anything days?
They need to rethink the colors just a tad.

First one to pick be nekkid all day and see how you feel now gets the door prize.:ROFLMAO:

Just sayin'

Munky.

Shrek has several pink t-shirts...most have something about Breast Cancer prevention on them.

i'm all for shirts vs. skins, but tbey never let the girls play.

ok, ok, yeah, i know. this is a serious subject. i'll stop.

when i was a kid, i was pretty skinny and only average height. i was bullied a few times, but learned to stand up to it. for me and less fortunate kids. it's up to the parents to teach kids right from wrong; simple as that. to teach children about their inalienable rights as an individual.

largely, bullies come from a combination of neglected and often disturbed kids, and bad parents.

i think their parents should have to wear pink. i look better in mauve or fuschia.

Fortunately, I do have at least one pink outfit, so I do have at least something to wear...

Unfortunately, it really too late to change clothes now, so I'll have to wear it tomorrow.

Do you think that would be okay?

Last edited:
Fortunately, I have at least one pink outfit.

Unfortunately, it's really too late to change clothes now, so I'll have to wear it tomorrow.

Do you think that would be okay?

Actually, I believe the colour pink was picked for the very reason that it brings attention to the problem. You could buy t-shirts with the anti-bullying logo for under $10 and they are for men, women and children. I just wore my own pink!

I know that none of you are making fun of the cause, just the colour, but this is very serious here. You may have heard the story of Amanda Todd. She was from Coquitlam, BC, very close to where I grew up. She was bullied and did a video just before committing suicide, where she held up words on paper as a song played. It went viral all over the world. Her mom and my best friends have known each other for years.

While the anti-bullying campaign has been around for a couple of years, this situation has really brought it home for a lot of people here.

One of my doctors, a very masculine gentleman wears pink for anti-bullying and on breast cancer awareness day and I don't think anyone would question it ;)

I was bullied all of my childhood, into my teens and in several relationships including my first husband. I had many thoughts of wanting to end it all because I had no where to turn (I am glad I didn't). I wish they had a pink t-shirt day then! :)

i'm all for shirts vs. skins, but tbey never let the girls play.

ok, ok, yeah, i know. this is a serious subject. i'll stop.

when i was a kid, i was pretty skinny and only average height. i was bullied a few times, but learned to stand up to it. for me and less fortunate kids. it's up to the parents to teach kids right from wrong; simple as that. to teach children about their inalienable rights as an individual.

largely, bullies come from a combination of neglected and often disturbed kids, and bad parents.

i think their parents should have to wear pink. i look better in mauve or fuschia.

Bucky your absolutely right. Parents should be held accountable for their child's actions. Whether it's for the positive or negative it's up to them to set a positive example. They also need to know by doing something negative like that can and will have some swift ramifications.

Unfortunately some parents don't get it at all. Not until the bullied kids parents have had enough and threatened to start going door to door to all the bullies houses kicking in doors, yanking a few parents out of their homes and showing them how it really feels. That's when it finally hits home what Johnny's been up to.

We've actually had that problem here. My youngest when he was 5 everyday the neighborhood teenage bullies would walk up in my yard and wail on him, shoving him around, kicking some of the other smaller kids off their bikes just for fun. Because they thought they could.
The parents ignored the problem no matter how many times complaints were made. They had a social calender to attend to and couldn't be bothered.

What made it stop was a heavy handed verbal warning, THIS is going to happen... Police have it on record. Warning signs were posted "The camera doesn't lie!"

You bet it ended that day. They were the ones who had to eventually put their house up for sale and move. They aren't missed.

I took my nephew, wearing a pair of shorts, to the Superintendent of the school district and stood him on the desk. The child had bruises on both legs from where the kids on the playground kicked him, more bruises on his chest and back where he was punched.

Neither the teachers or the principal of the school would do anything about it. I told the Super that his bruises had been recorded on film, if any more bruises came up I would be back in his office, with the police...so they could arrest me after I beat the daylights out of him. My nephew was never touched again.

I don't want to sound argumentative, but when I was bullied I was afraid to tell my parents, teachers, etc. because the bullies put that fear in me. And they were everywhere and taunted me about everything - my weight, my braces, my clumsiness, they called me a "dog", it went on and on. Even people I thought were my friends went behind my back. There are stories I could tell, but won't. The bullying followed me from Saskatchewan to BC and back to Saskatchewan, then when I came back in my 20's it started again. I began to believe that it was me - that I really was all those things they told me and I deserved every horrible thing that was done to me.

Bullies do need to be punished and their parents do need to be accountable; however, if no one is able to speak out about being bullied, the bullies get away with things. And when I did speak out, the mothers would say "not my child" and that would be the end of it.

I am sorry, but this is a very hard issue for me to deal with. I am going to unsubscribe from this one, but I will be wearing my pink shirt again next year and every year to follow.

Last edited:
I took my nephew, wearing a pair of shorts, to the Superintendent of the school district and stood him on the desk. The child had bruises on both legs from where the kids on the playground kicked him, more bruises on his chest and back where he was punched.

Neither the teachers or the principal of the school would do anything about it. I told the Super that his bruises had been recorded on film, if any more bruises came up I would be back in his office, with the police...so they could arrest me after I beat the daylights out of him. My nephew was never touched again.

That is awful!!! Bullying is not very common is SA schools, thank goodness. They do tease and call kids names which is also bad, I know from experience as an adult that emotional scars are worse that physical.

I wish parents would get involved more, they should teach their kids that it's never ok to hurt someone else.

This one is pretty close to my heart as well. I work with adolescents and bullying happens every day.

BT and Munky, I love that you both think parents should be held accountable. It reminds me that there are places in the world where kids DO have parents. The kids I work with have essentially been abandoned by parents, family and so on and so forth. No one (except me and my coworkers) has ever told them that its not OK to bully people. We start from the ground up.

Show me a bully and I'll show you someone who has been bullied and abused and feels small and helpless and is trying desperately to keep themselves safe.

This isn't about laying blame and making people accountable. Its about telling people what is hurtful and what is acceptable behavior. You learn what you live and when you live in hell, you don't always know what kindness is.

Pink shirts say to me that you will offer kindness and caring to someone whose never had it. It says, you will teach someone how to behave properly and not shame them.

Hope you get the chance to help a bully become a different person.

Thanks to those of you who are good and diligent parents, keep up the good work.

I work with public school students, and while some of the bullies do feel small and try to assert dominance, most of the bullies I work with come by it naturally, have a sense of entitlement, and have great self-esteem. They get a kick out of putting other kids down and humiliating them. A lot may be hereditary. The worst are the girls. Boys might duke it out and get it over with, girls can be really cruel and draw it out, sometimes for years. We have some great school-wide antibullying programs, and incidents are down a lot. We teach kids that if they see bullying and don't intervene or call for help, the bullying won't stop, and they're almost as guilty as the bully.

Last edited:
Dawgluver, I certainly won't argue with your assessment. You know the kids you work with better than I do.

In my experience with teens (and their parents) I've never yet met a bully with good self esteem. Never. No matter what they put out there on their facade, underneath every single bully I've met feels like crap on the inside. Entitled they may be, they may have all the material things in the world, but they still feel tiny and small inside. And often the worst bullies are not kids, they are the parents.

I get the feeling that you folks think I'm trying to excuse bad behavior which is far from the truth. I'm trying to point out that bullying is a behavior based in shame and ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom