"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Master Chef

Anti Fatigue Mats

I'm looking for either mat or flooring for anti fatigue . I have googled and find so many options . I wanted to know if anyone here uses a mat in the kitchen. I can't even stand doing food prep for even 10 min, without ending up with back pain, because I have hard wood flooring . Hubby does not want to spend much, he thinks everything is "Madison Avenue Baloney " his actual word was not suitable for posting.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Go to a carpet sellers and buy one of their scraps. They come in hundreds of colors and work as well as anything else. I have one in Mexico for the tile floor.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The flooring may not be your problem. It could be your stance. If you are preparing food in an area that has a lower cabinet with a door, open the lower door and put either your left or right foot on the threshold of the cabinet. Actually if you will be working for a long period of time, you should alternate your left and right foot. Raising your foot changes your center of gravity and takes some pressure off your back.

If you don't have a cabinet you can use in this manner, use a small footstool or a "riser" about 6 inches high.

You might want to try this before you spend any money on any mats or such.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Cook

How about a good pair of shoes like nurses and others who are on their feet all day use. Surely, hubby won't begrudge you a pair of work shoes. I tried those Dr somebodies jellin' pads for your shoes, DON'T bother

I have worked on some mats before and they do help but in a restaurant they have someone who takes them out back or somewhere and steam cleans or at least hoses them down each day.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Crocs are really ugly shoes but for standing on your feet for a while, they are wonderful! Plus they are relatively inexpensive and almost indestructable. It would be like an individual anti-fatigue device that follows you all over the kitchen!