"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Paxil, which I have been taking for about 15 years, is an anti-anxiety drug which has kept me alive. I've heard it said that Paxil is addictive, and I don't care, as long as I can get it.
If my mother had had Paxil, she might still be alive.
It's great that you have found something that works for you. Even if it is addictive that doesn't mean someone is abusing it. I also use Vicadin everyday. And no I'm not the pill popping Dr. House, I take one every morning so I can stand upright. I fell down some stairs 6 years ago and have 2 bulging disks in my neck and 3 bulging disks in my lower back, sciatica in both hips, ost.arthritis in my lower back, neck, a herniating disk or two and just plain old arthritis in various other parts of my body. I would say I take one Vicadin 5 or 6 days a week. If I do to much physically I may have to take one at night. But after a year I'm not addicted. A 30 day supply last me about 90 days. I can deal with the aches and pains, but the sadness was just getting overwhelming.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I am very very sorry that you have so many problems and you are coping with these problems.

We lead more simpler life. My mother became very forgetful with advanced age. She cannot able to recall 60% of incidences. Yet she got very dominating nature (she was a teacher). She will tell anyone anything but we all can understand her and accept her as she is. She is not under any kind of medication. The best medication is spending her time with us.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
I am very very sorry that you have so many problems and you are coping with these problems.

We lead more simpler life. My mother became very forgetful with advanced age. She cannot able to recall 60% of incidences. Yet she got very dominating nature (she was a teacher). She will tell anyone anything but we all can understand her and accept her as she is. She is not under any kind of medication. The best medication is spending her time with us.
I definitely have a lot of aches and pains, but I am handling those very well. I know my limitations. I also know that with weight loss those aches and pains will become a lot less painful. My major focus from now on is my depression. I will get a handle on it, and as I do I know things will be better.
I will cherish the days I have left with my mother and although very rarely
does she NOT recognize me, I realize that that will change as she ages.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
Master Chef

Please don't get too wrapped around the axle on weight loss. Yes, I'm sure you need to, and I'm sure it is adding to depression. BUT please concentrate more on nutrition, and, since you said your husband and son are going to be supportive, get one of them to watch your mom for a little bit every day and even if it is only around the block, get outside and do something. Even ten minutes. Even in bad weather. If you don't have one already, buy a full-spectrum light to read or do any close work by. But just being outside, even for just a few minutes, at least once a day (and, no, walking to the car to take yourself or family members on errands/appointments does not count, this has to be YOU time) over time can really elevate your mood after awhile. Just walk around the block. One of the hardest things about both depression and weight loss, especially since you say you need to lose a lot of the latter is that the ups and downs can just about kill your incentive. So don't concentrate on that. Concentrate on GOOD FOOD, don't let yourself get overly hungry (lots of fruit, vegs, and whole grains for snacks), and get outside once a day for a walk, no matter how short. Make hubby and son live up to their claim of being supportive and give you a half hour of alone time, and use it to take a walk, get some of that good old sun vitamins.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Please don't get too wrapped around the axle on weight loss. Yes, I'm sure you need to, and I'm sure it is adding to depression. BUT please concentrate more on nutrition, and, since you said your husband and son are going to be supportive, get one of them to watch your mom for a little bit every day and even if it is only around the block, get outside and do something. Even ten minutes. Even in bad weather. If you don't have one already, buy a full-spectrum light to read or do any close work by. But just being outside, even for just a few minutes, at least once a day (and, no, walking to the car to take yourself or family members on errands/appointments does not count, this has to be YOU time) over time can really elevate your mood after awhile. Just walk around the block. One of the hardest things about both depression and weight loss, especially since you say you need to lose a lot of the latter is that the ups and downs can just about kill your incentive. So don't concentrate on that. Concentrate on GOOD FOOD, don't let yourself get overly hungry (lots of fruit, vegs, and whole grains for snacks), and get outside once a day for a walk, no matter how short. Make hubby and son live up to their claim of being supportive and give you a half hour of alone time, and use it to take a walk, get some of that good old sun vitamins.
Good food nutritionally is exactly what I'm doing. Like I said earlier, I cleaned out the frig., pantry and even my coupon collection. I've even started with a short walk in the evening and my son is my co-walker, along with our lab, Peanut.
I'm not allowing myself to get hungry. I have a small smackeral (as Winnie the Pooh would say) of something. I use my mornings doing my food prep, slicing veggies, fruit, etc. so it's there for me. I'm not hung up on the weight loss and the scale. The scale is put away after our sunday weigh-ins so we don't become a slave to it. Getting healthy is my primary goal.
Thank you for your support Claire.