"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Jeeks, try the portuguese section of Newark for gulf shrimp with heads on.
For those who don't know, shrimp with the heads are much, much more tasty than without.
I don't know why, but I learned this in the area above
in the late '80s.
Good luck Jeekinz

Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #32
Executive Chef

If you cook shrimp with the head on, there's a nugget of shrimp fat between the head and tail. That fat is full of flavor, and it leaks out into the sauce when it's cooked.

A year and a half ago, we got some head-on Hawaiian blue shrimp flown in. We did some Cajun BBQ'd shrimp with them. They were awesome! Only problem was, to many of the "ladies" at the club were so straight-laced that they told the GM that "real ladies shouldn't have to touch shrimp before they eat it." And that is a quote! Sadly, we can't do anything with head-on shrimp anymore.

When I was up in MI, I missed decent BBQ so much that I taught myself how to make it at home. The town I lived it, if you said you were going to have BBQ, your neighbors automatically asked what kind of steaks were you cooking, and how many hotdogs and hamburgers you were going to cook.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
When I was up in MI, I missed decent BBQ so much that I taught myself how to make it at home. The town I lived it, if you said you were going to have BBQ, your neighbors automatically asked what kind of steaks were you cooking, and how many hotdogs and hamburgers you were going to cook.
What, no brats?! I know what you mean. I grew up in Tulsa, and moved to WI 5-1/2 years ago to go to school. There is not a decent BBQ place within 100 miles (or more). I went back to Tulsa last year for my wedding, and we had our rehearsal dinner at Elmer's on Peoria. It Be Bad!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
"ladies" at the club were so straight-laced that they told the GM that "real ladies shouldn't have to touch shrimp before they eat it." And that is a quote! Sadly, we can't do anything with head-on shrimp anymore.

LOL! That quote just made my day.... I can just picture them.

Real ladies probably don't eat crawfish or lobster or fried chicken legs either... real ladies are missing out!

Growing up in the Northeast "BBQ" was just the same term as cookout..or grilling.. I had NO IDEA what BBQ really was until I moved to Texas... life has never been the same
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7887 View Post
Goya products.
YES!!! I was in Vermont, of all places, and my brother turned me on to this great marinade (mojillo or something like that--bitter orange, and the usual suspects in a marinade). I live in the SF Bay Area and you would think that this would be easily available--not so. I went to Philly and they had it. I wrapped up a few bottles and put in my luggage (risky, I know, but I LOVE this stuff). Other than getting the stank eye from security, it survived the 3K mile journey just fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
Head Chef

Pork cheeks.

I have successfully found sources locally for everything from duck fat to sweetbreads, but I can't locate pork cheeks.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
I can't locate pork cheeks.
They keep em right on the pigs face between the chin and the forehead.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Master Chef

Buttermilk and Cookies BBQ sauce. Buttermilk is a real pain to find around here, and no where can I get Cookies BBQ sauce.
They also don't have any Sonic, Hardees, or Godfathers Pizza out here. When I first moved here I was like huh? Oh, and Casey's General Store (gas station) with their pizza shop inside. Love their BBQ chicken pizza.
One thing they have started carrying out here in the last 5 years or so is Blue Bunny ice cream... which is way cool!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #39
Master Chef

We can't find raspberry frozen turnovers from Pepperidge farm here, so we have my m.i.l. bring us some when she comes for visit from CA. On the way back she buys jalapeņo peppers in jars that she cannot get there.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They keep em right on the pigs face between the chin and the forehead.
Cheeky!