Any math lovers out there??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
This old hillbilly needs the answer to a division question that's MUCH too long for my calculator............

700,000,000,000 divided by 330,000,000..........................

:wacko:

For large numbers like these, you can lop off the same number of zeros from each number and get the right answer. For example, knock six zeros off each number and divide 700,000 by 330 and get the right answer.

You can also go to google and type the problem into the box and get the answer.

Oh, here's a math question for the mathematicians here:
This is from a hand written study book from 1821. There is no
answer in the book, and I have NO idea if it can even be solved,
because I STINK at these things:

"A gentleman courting a young lady, demanded
her age. She replied..
My age is that if multiplied by three,
Two sevenths of that product trebled be
The square root of four ninths of which is four,
so tell me my age or court me no more"

Oh, here's a math question for the mathematicians here:
This is from a hand written study book from 1821. There is no
answer in the book, and I have NO idea if it can even be solved,
because I STINK at these things:

"A gentleman courting a young lady, demanded
her age. She replied..
My age is that if multiplied by three,
Two sevenths of that product trebled be
The square root of four ninths of which is four,
so tell me my age or court me no more"

I believe it's solvable but not by me. I was not 'working up to my potential' in algebra class. If 'x' is her age, then 3x is her age multiplied by three. then take 6/7 (that's 2/7 trebled) etc..

I can set up the equation, but it'll take me some while to solve it. Haven't used algebra in a long time, in spite of the fact that I used to privately tutor it. Sad, isn't it, when we become slaves to pocket calculators and such?

Its unsolvable. When I set up the equation I end up with x=10/7 which simply does not compute.

However, I have been wrong before.

Katie, can you post the equation? I'll work it if you can post it. I think that is my issue.

Last edited:
Only if I could understand the problem. I was really good at math in my time, but now that it is all in English and is foreign to me I can't even help, my 8-th grader because i do not understand the words. My English is just not good enough for that.

Well now, TECHNICALLY that wasn't Hepburn singing in My Fair Lady.
sighhh I was heartbroken.

technically, you are keerect -
lori or nori nixon- Dubbed Natalie in West Side Story too.......and SHE was heartbroken.........

technically, you are keerect -
lori or nori nixon- Dubbed Natalie in West Side Story too.......and SHE was heartbroken.........

It was Marni Nixon. Hepburn was selected for the role because the studio didn't think Julie Andrews and the star power to do the movie.

I believe they didn't use Julie for the singing because she was filming Sound of Music at the time.

Oh, Yeah.......Marni

I recall reading the They didn't tell Miss Wood that her vocals were to be covered by Miss Nixon until the very end............. There's one song in the film wher Ms. Nixon sings a split-screen duet with herself dubbing for Natalie and Rita Moreno....

Her age is 16 years.:huh:

Treble
treb·le [trébb’l]
adj
1. triple: three times as many or much. [13th century. Via Old French from Latin triplus , “triple.”]

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom