"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
Head Chef

Mmany companies have call centers to take calls from customers placing orders etc. The work is generally very boring but for those of us who are getting up there it's doable work. Just call around and see what might be needed in your area.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Have you checked out taking orders for Home Shopping Network or the like? I have a friend who is making good money working for them at home and she makes a good living.
What would one do, call the Home Shopping Network to inquire about that?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
What would one do, call the Home Shopping Network to inquire about that?
Google it and go to their site and find a link to "Jobs".

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Can your church help you out? Alot of times churches have money set aside for some help. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Being self-employed I don't think I can even afford to retire. I'll probably keep working til I'm 90.
I know the feeling. I am self employed too. Retirement does'nt feel like an option, Ever.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

With the downswing in the economy, several friends came up with ways to add "eggs to their baskets:"

A garden tending service (spring clean up, planting help, weeding, fall clean up, watering/weeding while people are away)
Taking orders for home-cooked meals and delivering them, frozen (this might have issues re: Health Dept)
Running errands, etc. (personal shopper) for someone who doesn't drive and was recently widowed
Dog walking
house sitting
minding children b/4 and after school
Relieving a caregiver of an Alzheimer's patient
In-home dog/pet boarding (dog/pet comes to her home)

I know we hunted high and low to find s/one who would come in an cook for our parents 3 days/week (using up the food in the pantry/freezer) and helping with the grocery shopping, cleaning out the fridge.

I would hope that one could find enough of these "little joe jobs" to boost a pension/EI/disability allowance. I know I have a friend with MS who is really struggling on her disability allowance.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Bless you all for your ideas. To CWS4322, your list could really be helpfull to me. I have even written down your list. Thank-you again.
Grandma Rose
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #18
Cupcake

Today, I had someone tell me that their daughter works as a medical coder/biller. Evidently one can work from home and make between $10 to $16 an hour as a starting pay doing it. Her daughter took a few training classes. I'm unsure what background she had, but know she did not attend college. She also has benefits and flexibility when she works. Her company supplied the computer and connection for her home, and they paid her minimum wage during training. The daughter is a stay-at-home mom who wanted to earn a bit extra, and ended up working more because she simply likes it.

Just thought I'd pass it on.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

CW, I look at your list and see a lot of things that down here in the US you need to be licensed and insured to do. I didn't realize Canada was that relaxed on caring for people, pets, homes, or doing yardwork. That's pretty interesting. I need to move up there when I retire from down here, lol.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I understand that if one were to advertise as a business, there would possibly be restrictions. However, taking a pet into your home as a person vs. a kennel should not require one complies with by-laws. You drop by your local vet, groomer, or trainer and let them know you'd take a dog/cat for a weekend. I have a kennel license. All it is is a business license. I use it for housing foster dogs for rescue 4-5 months year. I have yet to have my kennel inspected. The same is true for doing "elder sitting" for a couple of hours/week. The folks I know who do these things are not advertising as businesses, rather word-of-mouth services to help out (and fwiw, we never did find s/one to help with the cooking for my parents--even after talking with the agencies in the town where they live...sigh).

The people I know who do these things do these things for neighbours, friends of friends, etc. They don't run "businesses."