"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy Any retired people out there who need to go back to work?

I have been retired for quite sometime but now find that my pension is not enough. I have been looking for work but no success. I need ideas of how to increase my income.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sorry to hear about your predicament. After working for 31 years, we've been retired for over 15 years. We saved (did without) while we were wage earners and still try to save in retirement. For example, we'd rather forgo the expenses of items like premium cable tv packages and try to get at least 10 years out of our automobiles to help insure we can be financially independent. Health and elder care are among the fields where employment opportunities seem to abound down here.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Rose View Post
I have been retired for quite sometime but now find that my pension is not enough. I have been looking for work but no success. I need ideas of how to increase my income.
Rose, my newly widowed 67yr old neighbor found herself in your situation. She's now a very happy Nanny to a 3mo old baby. She and I were both day care mothers in our "youth", and we think what she's being paid to care for this infant is just fabulous. This professional well paid mother is thrilled to have her for $1,000 a month. I'm happy for all of them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Have you checked out taking orders for Home Shopping Network or the like? I have a friend who is making good money working for them at home and she makes a good living.

Also a thought, I'm able to live on low Social Security income by living in low income housing. Low income housing is sponsored by HUD. You pay 30% of your gross income, they pay the rest. I have a nice one bedroom apartment and it leaves me enough that I have expanded cable TV and internet and still have enough to buy what I need. Food stamps is also a good option to save money. It's a lot easier to use now, as you get a card you can swipe at the store like any credit card, and it is replenished monthly. I only get $48 a month, but that goes a long way. Don't let pride get in your way. There's no need to struggle so hard making ends meet. In my experience, the people at the food stamp places always treat you with respect. Some places you can even apply on line. Hope this helps.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Everymom

Grandma Rose, how short is short? Are we talking unable to afford the basics of food, clothing and shelter or just can't afford the luxuries?

What was your background before you retired? And will a job affect your pension income?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Grandma Rose, how short is short? Are we talking unable to afford the basics of food, clothing and shelter or just can't afford the luxuries?

What was your background before you retired? And will a job affect your pension income?
If I was to work full time it might effect my pension, I am not sure. Right now I can still feed myself but if things do not improve I could lose my home.. I worked many years as a waitress and cleaning rooms. Most of my younger years was spent raising my 3 girls. Thank-you for your concern. Grandma Rose
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Cupcake

To quote Alix, how short is short? If you are looking for spending money, and enjoy helping others, you might consider applying to be an assistant to an adult or child with physical impairments. It won't pay much but there is always a need.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Kathleen
Good idea. When I say short I mean short for living expenses. I am out looking for work all the time plus checking on line. It is not easy in Canada to take some of the advice I have gotten but I do thank-you for the imput.
Grandma Rose
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Master Chef

Being self-employed I don't think I can even afford to retire. I'll probably keep working til I'm 90.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Cook

Obviously the situation of GrandmaRose in Canada is different from most of the rest of us here in the U.S......and even more so for the members in different countries. I'm sure with the thousands of member that are here, someone will come up with a good idea, or possibly know of an opportunity somewhere.

My wife & I have a large place with horses and a pool. School kids flock here after school every day and hang around here for a much as 4 hours until their parents pick them up after they get off work. I assist with science homework and my wife makes snacks for everyone. We don't charge because we enjoy the company. I've heard dozens of times that we could be making a lot of money by watching after school children. Perhaps that may be a possibility if there is money to be made? I am just thinking out loud.