Anybody ever been to Puerto Vallarta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Off topic post here. GF and I are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta in January. We don't like all inclusives, and want to go and get a nice little room off of the water front. I have never been there and am looking for advice and suggestions. We will be eating in restaurants, street food, whatever. My concern is how accessible things are, prices, safety, etc...

Any suggestions would be welcome...thanks...

I haven't kept up with news of the drug wars in Mexico, but Cozumel is almost "sheltered" from all of that. I always feel safe in Cozumel. Puerto Vallarta is a big city and very different. I haven't spent much time in Puerto Vallarta, so I can't offer an objective opinion on it.

I'm surprised that Steve didn't mention that when we recently did our 10,000 mile cruise we were scheduled to stop in Puerto Vallarta but passed it by because of the danger there. I loved the place 20 years ago when I visited with my late husband, but I'd never go there now. Much of Mexico is a very scary place these days.

Last edited:
I think PV would be one place that AI/gated with guards would be better than staying downtown. Friends used to go to PV many years ago, and stayed in AIs even then.

Cozumel is so safe in part because the only way on or off the island is the ferry, boat, or plane. Hard to hide your AK 47 on the ferry.

Last edited:
I think PV would be one place that AI/gated with guards would be better than staying downtown. Friends used to go to PV many years ago, and stayed in AIs even then.

Yes, I agree Dawg. Even 20 years ago we stayed at an All Inclusive for security reasons.
Would you mind sharing the name of the Hotel you like in Cozemel?

Hmmm. Interesting. I haven't been to Mexico at all. My sister felt ok in Vallarta, and the median temperature is higher and more stable there during January so, those are two reasons why we were looking to travel there. A big reason I am not crazy about all inclusives, which I have been on a few to other countries, is that I would rather eat what, and when, I want. We are not huge beach fans, I'll go a few days but not really into sitting on one every day for a whole week, so I figured we may get a better deal by booking a place that isn't ocean front. Seems all the direct flights out of Ottawa Ontario are only available with these larger travel company, all inclusive, packages. I also don't want it to take me 18 hours to get there. :(

I just want to go and hang out and do my own thing for a week....

Kayelle, I'll PM you. Cozumel also has AIs, but we much prefer staying downtown.

Cozumel is so safe in part because the only way on or off the island is the ferry, boat, or plane. Hard to hide your AK 47 on the ferry.

You sure have a point there Dawg... :LOL:
We're looking into the best way to get there from here, and thanks for the pm info!

Last edited:
You sure have a point there Dawg... :LOL:
We're looking into the best way to get there from here, and thanks for the pm info!

You do need to rent a car or take a taxi to the "wild side" of Cozumel. It gives Maui a run for the money. Blow holes, 7 shades of blue ocean, the most spectacular scenery, rustic beach clubs with fresh fish and great burgers, dang, I miss that place!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom