Anybody for some Beyond Eggs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. Poppycock. There are factual errors in the article. Unless I missed something and these "egg wannabes" are created in the lab? If not, real estate, fuel to harvest, and water are used to get the plant ingredients from the land to the ... factory? Laying hens do not require an "enormous" amount of food (that is overwriting). The recommendation is to not feed more than your hen will eat in 15 minutes (about 1/2 c, if that). Eighty-five percent of laying hens are in battery farms, not 95 %, I hope the percentage continues to drop. The EU has a ban on battery farms. As people's awareness (and interest in the source of the food they eat rises), we may see a further decline in the number of battery farms. If municipalities removed by-laws forbidding people from keeping backyard hens, the number of battery farms would go down because hens are easy to keep, do not require a lot of land, and produce an egg every 24-36 hours (depending on the breed). My grandmother lived in a small town and had a small, backyard flock, as did a number of her neighbours. That is what fed the family protein during the depression.

I don't know that scientists can improve on Mother Nature. I'll stick with real eggs.

Back
Top Bottom