"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Anybody in the silicon valley area?

Dh may have a job opportunity in the Bay area. I hear it is extremely expensive. I'm curious if anybody lives there and can help me get a pulse on what it really costs to live there. We'd want to buy a 3 or 4 bedroom home in a safe area. Having a huge yard isn't a priority, but a small play area for the kiddo would be nice. The job is in Palo Alto. How much would they have to offer my husband to live there comfortably? We'd also probably want to put our daughter into one of the private German/American schools.

Or should we just forget the idea?

Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Palo Alto area is a very congested area and homes often have little or no yard compared to other areas. A lot of folks in that area have homes a significant distance from work so they can get more for their money and end up commuting an hour or more each way to get to work.

It is also a very expensive area to buy a home and to live.

I'm giving you second-hand information from collegues and relatives who live and work there.

I heard some supermarket survey info on TV today that said Massachusetts had the highest supermarket prices in the US except for California.

It's also close to San Francisco and the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, one of my favorite places to visit.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I think you heard right, velochic.
DH better be getting the HUGE bucks for a multiple bedroom home and private school.
I've always wanted to live in the Bay area, but it seems to be obscenely expensive.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks you two. I think he's going to go for the interview and if they want to hire him, see what they offer. He'd be a senior research scientist heading up a group of 40 research scientists, so the job would be a nice change for him. I'm kind of skeptical that they can offer him enough to lure him away.