"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
100% Alcohol free here. Amazing since there were an awful lot of alcoholics in my family.
That's actually why I don't drink much. There were a few alcoholics in my family too. I will have an occasional wine cooler or mixed drink, but I'd say I could usually count the number of drinks I have each year on one hand. Can't stand the taste of alcohol really, so I only like fruity tasting things that cover the taste of it as much as possible. The family members I spoke of drank beer for the most part--I cannot stand the taste or even the smell of beer.

Barbara

Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
Senior Cook

We are Pinot Noir drinkers - must say, it's part of our nightly routine. A glass before dinner and one with. Life is good.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I thought the holidays were supposed to be *about* the fun stuff - that's what makes them something to look forward to. I don't mean drinking during the holidays, but fun stuff in general during this time. I guess that's why I've pretty much gone to online shopping - I can't stand going from one crowded store to another trying to find something, so I shop at home and have more time for the fun stuff, which is getting together with family and friends

It sounds as if you think it's not good to have holiday memories that include alcohol. For me, having a glass of wine with dinner (or a margarita with Mexican food, or a glass of sangria when it's really hot) is just part of life, something I enjoy doing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sorry for striking a bad note GG.....................it was only an inquiry
Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
With the season approaching or here I should say, I was just curious if anyone on here is devoid of alcohol.
I realize that this time of year, it's a staple for most.
Hi You can consider me as alcohol free person .I have tasted vodka just for the single time in my life (I am 21 years old ).It was also by a mistake of my friends as they mixed it with the coca cola I was unable to differentiate between the mixed cola and rusian vodka one the new year eve .
After that I never have tried to taste it again ,
hahahahhah.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #25
Head Chef

I have only had one drink in my entire life and i was 12 years old. Grandma told me it was strawberry soda. Turns out it was a wine cooler. But thats the only time i have ever had alcohol.

I would rather have the bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. LOL.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdhar View Post
Hi You can consider me as alcohol free person .I have tasted vodka just for the single time in my life (I am 21 years old ).It was also by a mistake of my friends as they mixed it with the coca cola I was unable to differentiate between the mixed cola and rusian vodka one the new year eve .
After that I never have tried to taste it again ,
hahahahhah.
I had a similar experience with sniffing something I'd have never done.
Went with some girlfriends to Palm Springs for a mommy getaway.
They were into things I wasn't. They sent a gorgeous guy over to me to sniff this "new perfume" and let them know how I liked it. I smelled nothing, they laughed and said, "smell harder, it's there, it's great!" So, trusting person I was, I did. I fell backward and they all roared with laughter. I got up, went to my hotel room, packed my stuff and left. Drove home fuming.
Can you imagine someone doing that to a friend? I can't.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
I had a similar experience with sniffing something I'd have never done.
Went with some girlfriends to Palm Springs for a mommy getaway.
They were into things I wasn't. They sent a gorgeous guy over to me to sniff this "new perfume" and let them know how I liked it. I smelled nothing, they laughed and said, "smell harder, it's there, it's great!" So, trusting person I was, I did. I fell backward and they all roared with laughter. I got up, went to my hotel room, packed my stuff and left. Drove home fuming.
Can you imagine someone doing that to a friend? I can't.
That is horrible. Friends might pull harmless pranks on friends, but a real friend would never do anything to harm or even badly embarrass a friend.

Barbara
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sorry for striking a bad note GG.....................it was only an inquiry
No problem, Lefse I was just trying to figure out what the problem was. As I said, for me, having a glass of wine with dinner and the occasional cocktail is just part of life to enjoy - not much different from enjoying a variety of cuisines from different parts of the world.

It's interesting to me to see how many people seem to equate having a drink with getting drunk - as if it's not possible to have a drink or two, enjoying the flavor and maybe the mix of flavors with whatever you're eating, and then stop. When I was much younger, I sometimes drank to excess, but no more. Now it's just fun. Again, for *me.* Other people feel differently and that's just how the world works - no big deal.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I am an alcohol free person. I'm not much of a drinker and do not prefer the taste of it. It just doesn't taste good. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Maybe if I drink more often, I'll start to develop a taste for it.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKii View Post
I am an alcohol free person. I'm not much of a drinker and do not prefer the taste of it. It just doesn't taste good. Am I the only one who feels this way?
If you read this entire thread, there are several people who said they don't drink for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKii View Post
Maybe if I drink more often, I'll start to develop a taste for it.
Do you want to? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Some years ago, I went to lunch with a couple of co-workers and two of us ordered wine. The third, whom we didn't know very well, said apologetically, "I don't drink." My other lunch companion said to her with a smile, "It's not required."

There are different kinds of drinks, though. I don't like beer or dry wines or liquors like gin. I do like medium to sweet wines and sweet or tangy drinks, like a Cosmo or a margarita. So there are options, but if you don't want to, don't worry about it.