"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Anyone cancel a wedding or know someone who did?

I wrote this in the Spices and Herb thread but I thought it might be fun to hear other peoples' experiences.

Quote:
I cancelled my first wedding a week before the ceremony. My parents were not amused having put down all the deposits (which they lost) and many things were completely prepaid. Plus my mom had to return all the gifts.

The 2nd time, as the Wedding March was playing, my eyes glazed over and dad kept saying, "Let's go Bo. Let's go Bo. Let's go Bo." I literally was like a deer in headlights.

So he took hold of my upper arm and dragged my catatonic 110# body down the aisle. He would have carried me or put me on a wagon to get me to the alter at that point.

It was a successful marriage for 15 yrs (but it lasted for 20) and I had 2 great boys.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I do not have first hand experience, but my wife was engaged once before me. She ended up calling it off. I am very thankful she did!

We are now waiting to hear if one of her very good friends is going to go through with her wedding. Her BF proposed and she said she was not ready to give him an answer. She took the ring and put it in her drawer. It took her over a year to finally tell him yes. She asked my wife to be a bridesmaid, but refuses to do anything for the wedding at all. She has changed the wedding date once already and has not picked a location. She will not even decide if it will be in this country. She will not go shopping for a dress or do anything else at all. She will not even discuss it. My money is that this will be over well before they get close to the date

Old 12-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

an ex-girlfriend of mine, before i met her, cancelled most of the services of her old boyfriend's wedding a day or two before without his knowledge.

he and ("the sl#t he left me for") ahem, wife-to-be didn't find out that the limo, flowers, cake, and other parts of their wedding were cancelled until it was too late. they still pulled off a wedding, but not the one they'd planned and paid for.

she even disabled their answering machine so they didn't get any of the calls to confirm cancellation.

it's a long story, but apparently it was payback for his abusive treatment of her, and the way he dumped her.

for a while, though, after she and i broke up, i lived like i was on the federal witness protection program. always looking over my shoulder, avoiding dark alleys, double checking and shredding bills and bank statements, etc..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Is the story true about the guy who found out his fiance and his best friend were having an affair so he got pics of them in compromising positions. Then he taped pics of them on the bottom of the guests chair and after they were married ( guess he wanted the bride's parents to be mad at their daughter), he asked all the guests to remove the pic from their chairs, told the story and then went off on the honeymoom with one of his buddies so they could fish....?

That sounds like the ultimate revenge but I never knew if it was true or a tale.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Master Chef

Ultimate revenge?--a marriage that should have never taken place resulted in a man playing around on his wife for many years and then deciding to leave her for a trophy wife. Seems like he made the mistake of trusting wife number one to sell the Porche so they could divide the proceeds. Sell it she did-----advertised it, met the astonished customer who gleefully drove away in it and then handed soon to be exhubby his half--.50cents!!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Revenge? I'm committing the deepest act of revenge against my husband--I'm staying married to him! Okay, I know it is an old joke!

Half-Baked, even though your parents weren't happy about having put up all the money for the cancelled wedding, in the long-run I hope they realized it was for the best. When my mom got married the first time (to my biological father) she wanted to call it off at the last minute. The only reason she didn't was that her parents had spent so much money and she didn't want them to be disappointed in her. She was only 16 years old. She ended up in an abusive relationship with a drunk who beat her. Fortunately she was able to get out of it with nothing worse (physically) than a bad case of TMJ from being punched in the jaw. Obviously I am glad I am here, and she was glad to have my sister and me, but I hate that she had to go through that just because she was scared to back out.

Barbara
Old 12-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
an ex-girlfriend of mine, before i met her, cancelled most of the services of her old boyfriend's wedding a day or two before without his knowledge.

he and ("the sl#t he left me for") ahem, wife-to-be didn't find out that the limo, flowers, cake, and other parts of their wedding were cancelled until it was too late. they still pulled off a wedding, but not the one they'd planned and paid for.

she even disabled their answering machine so they didn't get any of the calls to confirm cancellation.

it's a long story, but apparently it was payback for his abusive treatment of her, and the way he dumped her.

for a while, though, after she and i broke up, i lived like i was on the federal witness protection program. always looking over my shoulder, avoiding dark alleys, double checking and shredding bills and bank statements, etc..
BuckyTom - I think I would have added plastic surgery to my list. If you get married, hire everything under a fake name.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
Sous Chef

No firsthand experience Jan, but I know a couple that I (as a mother...) sure wish someone had backed out of!!! ;)
Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I was really concerned about my son's choice but everyone seems to be very happy so I'm glad I was wrong.

I would have stopped it if I could.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Back when I used to do wedding flowers, a client's fiancee backed out 5 days before the wedding. Boy, was her dad angry! To make matters worse, he was a minister, and the church ladies had gone all out to give his daughter a lovely wedding shower. So, not only was he out a lot of cash, but he was also embarrassed in front of his congregation.

I didn't feel sorry for the girl at all...she was a real witch, and talked constantly about how she had the guy under her thumb. But it's a shame for the families that he didn't make up his mind a little sooner.

As for me, I had ordered the flowers, but my wholesaler hadn't gotten them in yet, so I was able to cancel my order. Because the father was my paster, I hadn't charged him a deposit, and all I was out were some ribbons I'd made ahead of time, which I was able to use elsewhere.