"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #31
Master Chef

I'm on the "great!!" side of the fence. I've lived much of my life in Florida and Hawaii, and when people say they have no seasons, I always respond with the fact that they BOTH do, they are just more subtle and, well different. Pointsettias actually bloom at Christmas. I could go on. BUT I really enjoy living in a place where the seasons are more obvious and intrusive. Tonight is supposed to bring in our first cool weather and we're loving it. The leaves are starting to turn. No, I do NOT miss year-round warmth.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:32 AM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
The transition to what we call Autumn is a mixed bag for me. I miss the warmth of the sun, and how happy everyone seems to be in summer and of course the long evenings. But I love the smell of the leaves as they fall, and all the pretty colours, and wearing soft jumpers and hats and scarves, and of course the beginning of football (soccer) season, and then of course there are all the lovely autumn foods, warming casseroles, apple crumble, poached quince.............

Old 09-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #33
Executive Chef

I don't like the early darkness either. Bleck!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I don't like the early darkness either. Bleck!
And I am looking forward to it!! I go running after dark, so that means I can go earlier! I hate exposure to the sun, that is why I wait till the sun goes down.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #35
Master Chef

I love Fall, when we actually have one.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I love Fall, when we actually have one.
You are soooooo right!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Where I live, I get a definite show of all 4 seasons. I'm always ready for the next season to start, usually because I'm sick of the one that is just ending. This generally holds true for all seasons with the exception of winter. I just cannot seem to get on board for winter, ever.

Autumn is lovely here. The mornings are crisp and cool and the afternoons are warm and sunny. The trees are a kaleidiscope of colours. So, to answer your question, I'm ready. I am loathe to see the summer, with it's extended daytime, end, but I am ready for the next season to begin.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Not at all! I love the fall! I remember growing up in New England t'was my favorite time of the year. I like the cooler temps, and there ain't nothing that can beat a New England fall. The colors, the harvest . . . . . ooh la la! Fresh apple cider, just picked apples either eaten as is or baked into an apple pie, or maybe apple crisp. Bright orange pumpkins begging to be bought and carved into a jack-o-lantern for Halloween (and/or pumpkin pie, but I wasn't fond of pumpkin pie in my youth).

Of course, you can't forget the other winter harvest items. Butternut and Acorn squash topped the list for me.

Now, I'm in Minnesota. T'aint the same as New England. *sigh*

Not bad, mind you, but not New England. *sigh*
Old 09-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
The transition to what we call Autumn is a mixed bag for me. I miss the warmth of the sun, and how happy everyone seems to be in summer and of course the long evenings. But I love the smell of the leaves as they fall, and all the pretty colours, and wearing soft jumpers and hats and scarves, and of course the beginning of football (soccer) season, and then of course there are all the lovely autumn foods, warming casseroles, apple crumble, poached quince.............
A question just occured to me... to Kyles or anyone from downunder... do you guys still call the season around June-August "SUMMER" and regard it as a cold season? Or this time of the year becomes a "WINTER" to you? Vice versa about the period between December and February... It just got me suddenly curious!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Yes, we call your summer our winter, and vice versa. We are just coming into spring now.

« Iraq | Killer Cat! »