"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by C.Whalen
I for one am glad that fall is here. I can put up with the early darkness in fall and then the snow in winter and the awakening of nature in spring, however the heat of summer is something that I dread. Perhaps this isn't as much a vote for the fall season but a vote against summer.
This is sort of how I feel, too. Although, part of the basis for my feeling this way is that we live in an area that's extremely hot and humid in the summer and our 1880 house isn't air-conditioned. We rely on lots of ceiling and box fans and as many doors and windows that will open.

I've always been more of a cold weather girl. I loved living in northern Minnesota near the Canadian border. I thrived there. Some people don't understand. I've always felt that I can put on enough clothes to get warm but haven't yet been able to take enough off to get comfortably cool...that is, legally.

I particularly enjoy fall because I'm able to cook wonderful soups and stews and all those yummy cold weather dishes.

I also like the fall and winter because I can dress my bed in our goose down comforters and flannel sheets. I love sinking down in all that cozy bed stuff.

And I love to watch the leaves turn and see them dancing on the sidewalks and in our yard. Our outside kitties have a great time chasing them.

The only real negative to fall for me is that there's so little daylight. My husband and I relish sitting out on our big front porch in the evenings with a drink. That'll come to an end when it gets too cold and dark to do it. I'll miss that and the kitties will, too. They enjoy sitting with us.

But, by the time fall and winter are about to end, I'm ready for spring. And, isn't it nice, by then spring usually is only a couple of weeks or days away. Time certainly flies.

Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #52
Contest Winner
We had frost this morning. I am so disgruntled.

Despite living in Alberta my whole life so far, I still cannot get used to the winters and cannot stand them. I am moving to the west coast next year... i cant stand it anymore.

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #53
Senior Cook
Fall makes me kind of sad. I like to be outdoors and fall signals the end to that. Around here, we are on the edge of the central time zone and it gets dark at 4:30 in the winter. So yes I agree, even though it was even more hot and humid than usual in middle Tennessee, fall is fairly depressing.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #54
Contest Winner
Originally Posted by carolelaine
Around here, we are on the edge of the central time zone and it gets dark at 4:30 in the winter.
That's how it is here too and that is probably the most depressing thing about winter. I need sunlight!

What is terrible is that when I leave for work in the morning it is still dark out and then by the time I get finished work, again, it is dark out... so its like I dont even get to see the sun much at all during the day. I dont like that.
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #55
Sous Chef
I like the time just before the fall - like the first week in sept - the fall and winter bum me out - i need the sun... love lying on warm sand getting tan and just relaxing outside - Of course love to BBQ outside
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye - but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those!"
Reanie525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #56
Executive Chef
Spring and fall are what I like the most. Of course with the change in season, veggies and fruit are not in abundance, but I guess we cannot have our cake and eat it too.
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #57
Executive Chef
Well, your Fall is our Autumn and this year the seasons have been slow in turning. There are still lots of leaves on the trees, and this is unusual by beginning of November.

Getting wet and squally, though - and the weather is set to get colder from tomorrow, or so the Met Office tells us!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #58
Senior Cook
not bummed out at all! fall marks the beginning of the Baking Season! of course i bake all year round, but i figure you might as well put some of that home heating bill to double use: heat the house by baking: pies, cobblers & crisps, bread, muffins, poundcakes & fruitcakes (which reminds me that i'd better get a move on getting the candied fruit chopped up and soaked in brandy). the only downside is that i'll need to greatly reduce my ice-cream consumption to make up for the added fat intake.
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #59
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
The temperature took a nose dive last week and it suddenly became almost like a winter here. The last couple of days it warmed up a bit, as it is a bit too early for a "down jacket, scarf and mittens" weather just yet. I am already starting to see some Christmas decorations being put up, which sort of cheer up my spirit. Actually, once it gets COLD, I can pretty much deal with it (not that I LIKE that), I don't mind the "greyness" so much either, I think for me the most bumming part of the year is more of the "end of the summer" factor, rather than coming of the autumn.
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #60
Master Chef
Well I have to admit I love it when the leaves change colors............don't like the aftermath of leaf raking so much anymore.

I love the smell of autumn in the air ...........no so much the leaf buring though.

Honestly, I'd miss it if it wasn't here. I don't think I could live anywhere where there wasn't the 4 seasons to experience.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote

« Iraq | Killer Cat! »