"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Anyone else have an Attic Fan?

This place we just moved in to has one. Yesterday was cool enough that I shut off the a/c, turned on the attic fan, and started opening some windows. The first window I opened had a major breeze coming through. I opened a couple windows in the back of the house, away from the attic fan, and the house was comfortable all night.

Of course, this morning, after the cold front came through, it was nice and CHILLY in the house. I've shut the windows, turned off the attic fan, and put on A SWEATER!

I can definitely see us using the attic fan when the temps are favorable.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Yes, we have an attic fan too. Our upstairs gets wicked hot and it does help but we are always still hotter upstairs. Glad it is working out for you!

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Before I remodeled my upstairs there was a huge window fan at the end of the hall. I took it out to put in a bathroom. I miss having it at times, but still enjoy using it in my 'shop' next to the house...
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Head Chef
We have a small house but two attic fans, one over our bedroom and one over the garage.

They keepp the attics from becoming 120 degrees in the summer. They are both on thermostats, which are cheap, so we generally don't manually turn them on or off.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Hmmm, auntdot, I have something different. Mine is an "exhaust" fan, so to speak, mounted into the ceiling in the hallway in the front part of the house (the original part). It draws air out of the habitable part of the house, and into the attic, where it's forced out through the vents in the roof and eaves. Basically, open a few windows, turn this fan on, and it will draw air in through the open windows. I use it by opening the windows in the back part of the house (newer addition), in two bedrooms and the utility room, and the fan draws air though the entire house this was.

Tonight is supposed to get so cool that I'll probably shut all but one, maybe two of the windows, turn the fan on low, and leave those windows open just a little bit, so we aren't freezing in the morning (lower 50's upper 40's).
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Head Chef
AllenOK, I have an attic fan, but it's set up differently from yours. It's actually in the attic wall--which is a stand up, properly floored type. It is able to exhaust the air from everywhere in the house, and allows me to not use A/C nearly all of the time. My grandfather put it in, and it is on the order of a small barn fan--about 2-1/2 feet across. I would immediately install a fan like mine into any place I ever moved. I find that judicious use of curtains against the hot sun and the fan in the evening mostly eliminates the need for any other cooling, even in the hot NJ weather.
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Master Chef
I've got one too. Aren't they great??
Mine is a little loud, but, not unbearable. Sounds kinda like a generator. You have to watch your doors though. If I don't put something in front of mine, they close from the wind coming through. LOL.

Oh, mine is also in the ceiling. I think the people that converted the doublewide installed it to also help cool the attic. Our home is completely enclosed in siding and a compositve roof which gave it an attic above so and the fan helps cool the house and cool the attic.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Executive Chef
I plan on installing one in my house.

Allen, you have what's called a 'Whole House Fan'

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote