Anyone else like R & B / Blues Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I've always loved this but find myself listening to it more an more of late. In fact, I'm getting great use out of the Yahoo Music Section. I really need to get busy and download all the songs I love and have recently discovered.

Here are just some of the ones I really like. What are some of your favorites so I can go take a listen to them?

Etta James
Nything to Say You're Mine
Sunday Kind of Love
At Last
Stormy Weather
B. B. King
The Thrill Is Gone
T-Bone Walker
T-Bone Blues
Al Green
-Let's Stay Together
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Stormy Monday Blues
Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Boom Boom
Otis Rush
Mean Old World
Eddie "Blues Man" Kirkland
Young Man Young Woman
Dr. John
Blue Monday
Charles Brown
New Orleans Blues
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
Early In The Morning

I enjoy music of all kinds...some of it in small doses.
Many/Most scholars say the "blues" originated in the Delta region of Mississippi...Others will lay claim..don't they always...

Yes, I can enjoy blues and R&B in the right atmosphere, mood etc..
I can appreciate it...however I don't want to listen to it all day..not a steady diet of it...As in foods...I like a lot of different things!

An evening on Beale Street in Memphis can be fun...(By the way I think they lay claim to "Home of the Blues") No matter the evening can be fun!

Enjoy!!

If you like the older blues listen to some R.L. Burnside. For something a little newer listen to Government Mule. I love their stuff.

Sizz, I am a hard-core blues fan
You've got some great people on your list.
For starters, here's a few of the artists I like. Some are the old traditional guys and some are younger and newer.

Muddy Waters
Robert Johnson
Keb Mo
Buddy Guy
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Sippie Wallace
Bessie Smith
John Lee Hooker

that oughta keep you going for awhile

I'd like to add Robert Cray, Erik Clapton, Johnnie Lang, Johnnie Winter and the late Stevie Ray Vaughn to the list.
Have you heard or seen Erik Clapton's "Crossroads"? Kim bought the DVD and it's wonderful...has all the old and new blues singers.
Erik has another excellent one, "Riding with the King", which he recorded with BB King.

And when it comes to R&B, nobody can top Aretha Franklin. What a voice that woman has!

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the big three:

Muddy Waters
Willie Dixon
Howlin' Wolf

I had the great pleasure of seeing two of the three many times in concert. I've met and gone to many blues concerts during my lifetime. Try Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Son Seals...golly, there are so many. Dr. John is great for the New Orleans jazz style, as is Professor Longhair. His Crawfish Fiesta album has been my walking music for years. It has a great, lively beat to walk to. And you mentioned "The Thrill is Gone", which is a blues masterpiece. It may just be my favorite all round blues song. It gets to the heart of the genre, but without being "down & dirty", and it's a timeless tune and message.

BC

I do I do!

I'm a huge Etta James fan. Lou and I saw her at BB King's 3 years ago. I love Muddy Waters, too.

Check out WBGo_Org. It's a member supported jazz station in Newark, NJ, but they streamline as well. They have a blues hour every day at 2pm, est.

I bet you'll like it.

Uncle Bob said:
I enjoy music of all kinds...some of it in small doses.
Many/Most scholars say the "blues" originated in the Delta region of Mississippi...Others will lay claim..don't they always...

Yes, I can enjoy blues and R&B in the right atmosphere, mood etc..
I can appreciate it...however I don't want to listen to it all day..not a steady diet of it...As in foods...I like a lot of different things!

An evening on Beale Street in Memphis can be fun...(By the way I think they lay claim to "Home of the Blues") No matter the evening can be fun!

Enjoy!!

Oh I too love a variety of music too and you'll find different stationed preprogrammed.......my car will have current (pop, alternative, etc...), DH 4x4 Truck has the 80's section, kitchen has Country station and when I sit down here to yahoo as of late I've been clicking on the blues radio station. Plus if the the station has something on that I don't care for I love to scan till something catches my ear.

Constance said:
I'd like to add Robert Cray, Erik Clapton, Johnnie Lang, Johnnie Winter and the late Stevie Ray Vaughn to the list.
Have you heard or seen Erik Clapton's "Crossroads"? Kim bought the DVD and it's wonderful...has all the old and new blues singers.
Erik has another excellent one, "Riding with the King", which he recorded with BB King.

And when it comes to R&B, nobody can top Aretha Franklin. What a voice that woman has!

Oh yes I do love Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Allman Brothers too....I forgot about them.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We used to have an amazing blues band that would play at a local bar but they haven't been around for some time and I truely miss them.

Yeah, Blues has a special place in my heart. If you can find it check out;
"Cry On" by Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth from the "Livin' With the Animals" album back in the late 60's. What a voice this woman has......

Spiritboxer said:
Yeah, Blues has a special place in my heart. If you can find it check out;
"Cry On" by Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth from the "Livin' With the Animals" album back in the late 60's. What a voice this woman has......

Thanks Spirit I'll see if I can find your suggestions.

SizzlininIN said:
Thanks Spirit I'll see if I can find your suggestions.
Whew, finally found the jewel box case with the all the info. It's available as "The Best of Tracy Nelson/Mother Earth" catalog # 2-46232 on Reprise Archives. IIRC, I found it on Amazon. I'll do a search later, gotta run....

Here ya go! I was late already so what's another minute or two?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/102-6986235-7561764?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=The+Best+of+Tracy+Nelson%2FMother+Earth&Go.x=13&Go.y=6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom