"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

Anyone else like R & B / Blues Music

I've always loved this but find myself listening to it more an more of late. In fact, I'm getting great use out of the Yahoo Music Section. I really need to get busy and download all the songs I love and have recently discovered.

Here are just some of the ones I really like. What are some of your favorites so I can go take a listen to them?

Etta James
Nything to Say You're Mine
Sunday Kind of Love
At Last
Stormy Weather
B. B. King
The Thrill Is Gone
T-Bone Walker
T-Bone Blues
Al Green
-Let's Stay Together
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Stormy Monday Blues
Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Boom Boom
Otis Rush
Mean Old World
Eddie "Blues Man" Kirkland
Young Man Young Woman
Dr. John
Blue Monday
Charles Brown
New Orleans Blues
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
Early In The Morning

Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoy music of all kinds...some of it in small doses.
Many/Most scholars say the "blues" originated in the Delta region of Mississippi...Others will lay claim..don't they always...

Yes, I can enjoy blues and R&B in the right atmosphere, mood etc..
I can appreciate it...however I don't want to listen to it all day..not a steady diet of it...As in foods...I like a lot of different things!

An evening on Beale Street in Memphis can be fun...(By the way I think they lay claim to "Home of the Blues") No matter the evening can be fun!

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

If you like the older blues listen to some R.L. Burnside. For something a little newer listen to Government Mule. I love their stuff.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Sizz, I am a hard-core blues fan
You've got some great people on your list.
For starters, here's a few of the artists I like. Some are the old traditional guys and some are younger and newer.

Muddy Waters
Robert Johnson
Keb Mo
Buddy Guy
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Sippie Wallace
Bessie Smith
John Lee Hooker

that oughta keep you going for awhile
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I love everyone listed so far!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'd like to add Robert Cray, Erik Clapton, Johnnie Lang, Johnnie Winter and the late Stevie Ray Vaughn to the list.
Have you heard or seen Erik Clapton's "Crossroads"? Kim bought the DVD and it's wonderful...has all the old and new blues singers.
Erik has another excellent one, "Riding with the King", which he recorded with BB King.

And when it comes to R&B, nobody can top Aretha Franklin. What a voice that woman has!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Sous Chef

You can't go wrong with the big three:

Muddy Waters
Willie Dixon
Howlin' Wolf

I had the great pleasure of seeing two of the three many times in concert. I've met and gone to many blues concerts during my lifetime. Try Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Son Seals...golly, there are so many. Dr. John is great for the New Orleans jazz style, as is Professor Longhair. His Crawfish Fiesta album has been my walking music for years. It has a great, lively beat to walk to. And you mentioned "The Thrill is Gone", which is a blues masterpiece. It may just be my favorite all round blues song. It gets to the heart of the genre, but without being "down & dirty", and it's a timeless tune and message.

BC
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I do I do!

I'm a huge Etta James fan. Lou and I saw her at BB King's 3 years ago. I love Muddy Waters, too.

Check out WBGO.org. It's a member supported jazz station in Newark, NJ, but they streamline as well. They have a blues hour every day at 2pm, est.

I bet you'll like it.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I enjoy music of all kinds...some of it in small doses.
Many/Most scholars say the "blues" originated in the Delta region of Mississippi...Others will lay claim..don't they always...

Yes, I can enjoy blues and R&B in the right atmosphere, mood etc..
I can appreciate it...however I don't want to listen to it all day..not a steady diet of it...As in foods...I like a lot of different things!

An evening on Beale Street in Memphis can be fun...(By the way I think they lay claim to "Home of the Blues") No matter the evening can be fun!

Enjoy!!
Oh I too love a variety of music too and you'll find different stationed preprogrammed.......my car will have current (pop, alternative, etc...), DH 4x4 Truck has the 80's section, kitchen has Country station and when I sit down here to yahoo as of late I've been clicking on the blues radio station. Plus if the the station has something on that I don't care for I love to scan till something catches my ear.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I'd like to add Robert Cray, Erik Clapton, Johnnie Lang, Johnnie Winter and the late Stevie Ray Vaughn to the list.
Have you heard or seen Erik Clapton's "Crossroads"? Kim bought the DVD and it's wonderful...has all the old and new blues singers.
Erik has another excellent one, "Riding with the King", which he recorded with BB King.

And when it comes to R&B, nobody can top Aretha Franklin. What a voice that woman has!
Oh yes I do love Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Allman Brothers too....I forgot about them.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We used to have an amazing blues band that would play at a local bar but they haven't been around for some time and I truely miss them.