"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Master Chef

Anyone ever .... a computer question

Have any of you ever totally and completely had your computer crash? So badly you lost all of your email addresses? Thanks to the DC staff, I'm back on my old name, etc., here But I've lost all the email addresses for my friends and family, and am systematically calling them, and my old email address was no good!

How many of you actually bother to write your friends' and family's email addresses is your written, hard copy address book? I should know better! What an idiot!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Everymom

Claire, create a gmail account and sync your regular email with your gmail. You'll never lose email addresses again. Google is the best thing EVER.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Also, most email programs - even webmail programs including google - have a means to export your addressbook as a csv file. What I do once a month or so, is to export the file and then email it as an attachment to myself. Of course, I save the email :) then if my email system crashes - or I loose the password to google or someone hacks it (which can and does happen) all i have to do is open the email, download the attachment and then upload the list to my email page/program again. It takes just a few minutes to do all of them. BTW, websites like Google, yahoo, and MSN are not perfect. They, too, have computers that have hardware programs and disks that crash periodically.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Some people might not know that a CSV file is a comma delimited Excel spreadsheet file.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Claire, you should consider buying a device like the Toshiba 640 GB desktop external hard drive for about $79 and perform monthly or quarterly incremental backups of your C-drive.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Master Chef

We had a crash. Fortunately my son was able to remove the old hard disc from the computer and pull data off it after installing it in a working computer.(our mother board burned up) Perhaps something similar can be done with yours. We moved to a web based email system a long time ago (we use yahoo) so I always can access my email from any computer that is hooked to the internet. We used to use Juno but found that when traveling, we couldn't access our emails from other computers.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I am with Alix. Use Google. That way all your important non confidential information is stored in the cloud and you are not relying on one piece of hardware to save that info. If you have a crash your info is still there.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Head Chef

Speaking of backups, does anyone have suggestions for a easy to use backup program?
Windows' Vista doesn't want to let me pick and choose easily and Norton's 360 one is slower than a turtle climbing Mr Everest backward with an elephant on his back.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Master Chef

Simply put, your email account should have a contact list. You need to populate that list with email addresses and phone numbers of your friends. Many people don't do this (including myself). That contact list under your email account is always available to you from any computer.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Master Chef

My first computer crashed. I lost everything then. I back up everything nowadays. And my e-mail is with Comcast, but lucky for me I keep all of my stuff on my works network. The stuff that I missed most was my recipes. E-mail addresses I was able to recover thru calling friends, etc. But recipes were gone for good. This was a biggest lose. The one I never recover.