"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
The obvious answer is having enough money. Rents in cities like Paris, Sorrento, etc run on the order of $3K/month.

the cost of living, anyplace in the world--and at any given time--depends in large part the sort of lifestyle that you require. are you high or low maintenance? would you stop and work in places? hire onto a ship for the cost of a voyage? expect to eat out in fine restaurants? "go native"?

also, explore your main reasons for wanting to travel the world. to get away from your present place and situation? to meet people, to help people? to find yourself? to seek new places, new thrills?

the state of your finances at retirement time will probably be less predictable or under your control than you might be imagining them to be....

Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Head Chef

Ha! I would have absolutely ZERO intention of working at anything other than maybe writing for pleasure.

My desire would be to visit these places in a more immersive way than a 2-3 week vacation. I would like to experience what it would be like to live there. I have been quite a number of places around the world, mostly with business, some on vacations with my wife. And I do not want to do it on the cheap (although small one bedroom flats are fine (those are still $3K/month) in cities like Paris). Nice restaurants are definitely on the agenda.

I am 5 years from checking out of work at age 62. Wife will have just turned 55 and will then be pension eligible. I have a sizable pension (some likelihood of a buyout by then) and we have saved/invested a fair amount money. Obviously, one can't see the future and some major economic turmoil or health disaster could change the scenario. But the people in the article had a $6K/month annuity. Assuming some stasis with current conditions, that figure is more than attainable for me.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Half Baked

I would love to spend a few years bouncing around in a 5th wheel and seeing our country. We have young kids so we are a ways off of that.
They can be really beautiful and pretty large.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Nomad? No
Recluse? Yes
I would rather retire into a self sufficient, off the grid lyfestyle, but that's just me.
And I agree with Vit, why wait. As the saying goes, the future is now.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My ideas of retirement are similar to Pacanis's. Back to the basics, away from the madding crowd...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

That's a most interesting link qmax and I've checked out her blog also.

As you know we travel a lot since our marriage and retirement with trips often a month or more, throughout the world. Our option of drastically downsizing our home, and being able to lock up and leave it for extended periods of time, along with very minimal daily living expenses, gives us a place to call home, and also fulfill our wanderlust. We live very simply and inexpensively when we are home. I've not tired of traveling the way we do, but I think I'd quickly tire of not having a place to call "home", be it ever so humble.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Everymom

qmax, COOL! I love that idea. I'm not sure I could talk Ken into it though.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's a most interesting link qmax and I've checked out her blog also.

As you know we travel a lot since our marriage and retirement with trips often a month or more, throughout the world. Our option of drastically downsizing our home, and being able to lock up and leave it for extended periods of time, along with very minimal daily living expenses, gives us a place to call home, and also fulfill our wanderlust. We live very simply and inexpensively when we are home. I've not tired of traveling the way we do, but I think I'd quickly tire of not having a place to call "home", be it ever so humble.
Did you check her itineraries posted on her blog? Of note, they do come back to Cal occasionally, but either stay with friends/family or rent someplace there.

We were going to sell our house anyway and get an in-city condo. So with this plan, we sell EVERYTHING now, and when we get tired of being on the move, then we buy the condo.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Nomad? No
Recluse? Yes
I would rather retire into a self sufficient, off the grid lyfestyle, but that's just me.
And I agree with Vit, why wait. As the saying goes, the future is now.
+1 I'm already there...not off the grid, but more self-sufficient each year.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
Did you check her itineraries posted on her blog? Of note, they do come back to Cal occasionally, but either stay with friends/family or rent someplace there.

We were going to sell our house anyway and get an in-city condo. So with this plan, we sell EVERYTHING now, and when we get tired of being on the move, then we buy the condo.
Yep I read that Q...it sounds like a great life they have and I'll be following them closely...I'd love to know them personally. Who knows, we might just run into them sometime. Steve and I are looking at their idea of repositioning cruises to cross the seas...they are cheaper than air, and when you are retired you have lots of time.
Your plan sounds perfect to wait and buy the city condo when you tire of being on the move. I'm sure in your corner for your plan, and I firmly believe in my signature.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote