"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yep I read that Q...it sounds like a great life they have and I'll be following them closely...I'd love to know them personally. Who knows, we might just run into them sometime. Steve and I are looking at their idea of repositioning cruises to cross the seas...they are cheaper than air, and when you are retired you have lots of time.
Your plan sounds perfect to wait and buy the city condo when you tire of being on the move. I'm sure in your corner for your plan, and I firmly believe in my signature.

I never noticed your sig before. It's quite profound.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
Flour Child

Very interesting link qmax. I think the key is having a super compatible relationship to share your travels with. I heard a prominent divorce lawyer say that the biggest reason for divorce is "too much togetherness". To pull off this type of nomad lifestyle where you are together much of the time would be amazing testament to the relationship. But with the right equation then this lifestyle is amazing.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Master Chef

Oh, dear, you obviously don't know me. Now, we didn't go totally nomadic. Because of circumstances (both military, no children) we didn't have a lot of money when my husband retired. And we tried to do the "expected"; that is to say, bought a nice house in Florida, near a military installation, near my family. After six years we couldn't take it any more. We bought a pick-up-truck and a travel trailer (we'd never towed a thing before), and spent three years roaming around the country. Two dogs (Jack Russells), a small travel trailer, and an F-150. Those were our home for three years. And we weren't what some call snowbirds. Don't get me wrong, the trailer wasn't winterized, so we stayed south in the colder months. That said, I don't think we stayed at one single place for more than a month at a time.

So yes, did it. Not internationally, but our point was to see parts of the USA that we hadn't seen or had passed through (both of us military) on the way to somewhere else.

A spectacular experience I wouldn't trade for anything.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
Executive Chef

...so what made you decide to finally put an end to your traveling style of living, claire?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
...so what made you decide to finally put an end to your traveling style of living, claire?
It was never meant to be permanent. We were, literally, shopping for a "new home-town". We wanted to visit places in the CONUS we'd not seen, you know when you criss-cross the country in a car as often as we had (separately and together over most of our lives), you see something that looks interesting, the name of a town that appeals to you. Neither of us had ever explored the northwest, and I'd always wanted to see the cliff dwellings. Things that we'd not done because when we were traveling it was always a specific destination and time constrictions to get there. We also wanted to see places where the other had lived growing up (husband got to visit several places where I lived growing up, I got to see his family's home town, and even meet friends and family from childhood).

We narrowed our choices down to 3 or 4 towns, contacted real estate agents in each when we hit the 2 1/2 year point, and started seriously shopping for our new home town.

Believe me, 24/7/365 in a small travel trailer and truck is more than 90% of couples could possibly do and remain married. Most couldn't do it for an entire summer, much less years. And we had two dogs, so a weekend off at a hotel wasn't an option!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I am all for See America First! Why spend our dollars overseas when we need them right here.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am all for See America First! Why spend our dollars overseas when we need them right here.
So I get your sentiment. And there are a couple places in the US that certainly would not be off my agenda (NYC, coastal Maine, couple others). For the record, I have seen a lot of the US. In fact, noting you are from Boston, I think I have been there 13-14 times.

But both spouse and I really like the idea of immersing ourselves in other cultures. I can see a month or two in Istanbul. I can't say the same for Cleveland (nothing against Cleveland).
Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
So I get your sentiment. And there are a couple places in the US that certainly would not be off my agenda (NYC, coastal Maine, couple others). For the record, I have seen a lot of the US. In fact, noting you are from Boston, I think I have been there 13-14 times.

But both spouse and I really like the idea of immersing ourselves in other cultures. I can see a month or two in Istanbul. I can't say the same for Cleveland (nothing against Cleveland).
I am so pro American it is almost political. Buy American if it is at all possible. See America First. Fly the American PROPERLY! And I am happy that you have been here so often. You must have liked us.

The only place in Europe I have any interest in seeing is England and Scotland. Only because that is where my ancestors were from. I would also like my kids to see the Lakes District in England where their father was from.

I used to love to travel. But now health problems keep me at home. Have driven cross country from the west coast to the east coast three times. Had a blast each time.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am so pro American it is almost political. Buy American if it is at all possible. See America First. Fly the American PROPERLY! And I am happy that you have been here so often. You must have liked us.

Actually, had a lot of business with the USAF at Hanscom AFB in Lexington.

But I did get to see a lot of the Boston area. It is probably my favorite East Coast city.

Don't like the winters though.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire

It was never meant to be permanent. We were, literally, shopping for a "new home-town". We wanted to visit places in the CONUS we'd not seen, you know when you criss-cross the country in a car as often as we had (separately and together over most of our lives), you see something that looks interesting, the name of a town that appeals to you. Neither of us had ever explored the northwest, and I'd always wanted to see the cliff dwellings. Things that we'd not done because when we were traveling it was always a specific destination and time constrictions to get there. We also wanted to see places where the other had lived growing up (husband got to visit several places where I lived growing up, I got to see his family's home town, and even meet friends and family from childhood).

We narrowed our choices down to 3 or 4 towns, contacted real estate agents in each when we hit the 2 1/2 year point, and started seriously shopping for our new home town.

Believe me, 24/7/365 in a small travel trailer and truck is more than 90% of couples could possibly do and remain married. Most couldn't do it for an entire summer, much less years. And we had two dogs, so a weekend off at a hotel wasn't an option!
Did you go to Mesa Verde Claire? I've been there twice. I just love it! Cliff dwellings on a large scale!