Anyone here ever consider going totally nomadic in retirement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mom and my stepfather did this for the last 10 years of their lives. They absolutely loved it.

I didn't like it because I didn't know where they were from one minute to the next and always worried about their health and safety.

As for me .. I wouldn't mind traveling but I want a place to come home to that is in the same spot all the time.

Cheers to these people for doing the thing they want to do !

This is fascinating qmax! I love the idea, aside from missing my grandchildren and worrying about how we would live once health concerns might cause us to come home. Certainly worth thinking about though.

I know a couple who sold their home and moved into a motor home and spent retirement traveling the United States and Canada. They loved it, and would park at their son's house for a couple of months each year too. It wasn't as extreme as this couple, but they did enjoy it. I think I would rather have my home to return to. Sometimes the best part of taking a vacation is the feeling you get when you get home. :)

So I get the notion of not having a "home", but on the other hand, I for one am chomping at the bit to get out of owning a single family residence. I am utterly sick of the maintenance, both in expense and calories. We will bail on the house and either do this or get an urban high rise condo in Seattle.

With as connected as the world is, smartphones and laptops would have you connected with voice, video and text with all the family.

We also considered the impact of not being around our granddaughter, but by the time we did this, she would be 12 and probably wouldn't want to spend much time with us anyway. This would allow us to give her the world. She could join us on winter break, spring break, summer break in Lima, or Sydney, or Rome, or Paris or wherever.

You could only do this until health became an issue, then you would settle in one spot.

In any case, doing this for 4-5 years would put a one hell of an exclamation point on one's life.

Last edited:
but why wait for retirement? i would think the best time to be a citizen of the world is while you are still young and healthy enough to really enjoy and survive that kind of 'trip'.

Do it! I'm a big fan of follow you heart. What a wonderful way to explore and enjoy the world.

I went nomadic for almost 15 years, from the late 70s until the early 90s. My then-wife and I traveled as road musicians. We played in 40 of the 50 states and in 6 countries overseas. "Home" for us, on the rare occasions when we weren't working, was staying at one of our parents or at friends' homes we met along the way. A few times we even slept in our truck (sleeper over the cab).

We had all of the comforts of home with us, including a complete cooking setup.

but why wait for retirement? i would think the best time to be a citizen of the world is while you are still young and healthy enough to really enjoy and survive that kind of 'trip'.

The obvious answer is having enough money. Rents in cities like Paris, Sorrento, etc run on the order of $3K/month.

Think about it all the time. Would love to do it but won't yet since my children are still young and they would miss their friends and family too much.

The obvious answer is having enough money. Rents in cities like Paris, Sorrento, etc run on the order of $3K/month.

the cost of living, anyplace in the world--and at any given time--depends in large part the sort of lifestyle that you require. are you high or low maintenance? would you stop and work in places? hire onto a ship for the cost of a voyage? expect to eat out in fine restaurants? "go native"?

also, explore your main reasons for wanting to travel the world. to get away from your present place and situation? to meet people, to help people? to find yourself? to seek new places, new thrills?

the state of your finances at retirement time will probably be less predictable or under your control than you might be imagining them to be....

Ha! I would have absolutely ZERO intention of working at anything other than maybe writing for pleasure.

My desire would be to visit these places in a more immersive way than a 2-3 week vacation. I would like to experience what it would be like to live there. I have been quite a number of places around the world, mostly with business, some on vacations with my wife. And I do not want to do it on the cheap (although small one bedroom flats are fine (those are still $3K/month) in cities like Paris). Nice restaurants are definitely on the agenda.

I am 5 years from checking out of work at age 62. Wife will have just turned 55 and will then be pension eligible. I have a sizable pension (some likelihood of a buyout by then) and we have saved/invested a fair amount money. Obviously, one can't see the future and some major economic turmoil or health disaster could change the scenario. But the people in the article had a $6K/month annuity. Assuming some stasis with current conditions, that figure is more than attainable for me.

Last edited:
I would love to spend a few years bouncing around in a 5th wheel and seeing our country. We have young kids so we are a ways off of that.
They can be really beautiful and pretty large.

Nomad? No
Recluse? Yes
I would rather retire into a self sufficient, off the grid lyfestyle, but that's just me.
And I agree with Vit, why wait. As the saying goes, the future is now.

My ideas of retirement are similar to Pacanis's. Back to the basics, away from the madding crowd...

That's a most interesting link qmax and I've checked out her blog also.

As you know we travel a lot since our marriage and retirement with trips often a month or more, throughout the world. Our option of drastically downsizing our home, and being able to lock up and leave it for extended periods of time, along with very minimal daily living expenses, gives us a place to call home, and also fulfill our wanderlust. We live very simply and inexpensively when we are home. I've not tired of traveling the way we do, but I think I'd quickly tire of not having a place to call "home", be it ever so humble.;)

That's a most interesting link qmax and I've checked out her blog also.

As you know we travel a lot since our marriage and retirement with trips often a month or more, throughout the world. Our option of drastically downsizing our home, and being able to lock up and leave it for extended periods of time, along with very minimal daily living expenses, gives us a place to call home, and also fulfill our wanderlust. We live very simply and inexpensively when we are home. I've not tired of traveling the way we do, but I think I'd quickly tire of not having a place to call "home", be it ever so humble.;)

Did you check her itineraries posted on her blog? Of note, they do come back to Cal occasionally, but either stay with friends/family or rent someplace there.

We were going to sell our house anyway and get an in-city condo. So with this plan, we sell EVERYTHING now, and when we get tired of being on the move, then we buy the condo.

Nomad? No
Recluse? Yes
I would rather retire into a self sufficient, off the grid lyfestyle, but that's just me.
And I agree with Vit, why wait. As the saying goes, the future is now.
+1 I'm already there...not off the grid, but more self-sufficient each year.

Did you check her itineraries posted on her blog? Of note, they do come back to Cal occasionally, but either stay with friends/family or rent someplace there.

We were going to sell our house anyway and get an in-city condo. So with this plan, we sell EVERYTHING now, and when we get tired of being on the move, then we buy the condo.

Yep I read that Q...it sounds like a great life they have and I'll be following them closely...I'd love to know them personally. Who knows, we might just run into them sometime. Steve and I are looking at their idea of repositioning cruises to cross the seas...they are cheaper than air, and when you are retired you have lots of time.
Your plan sounds perfect to wait and buy the city condo when you tire of being on the move. I'm sure in your corner for your plan, and I firmly believe in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom