"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anyone here ever consider going totally nomadic in retirement?

Story of one couple that have done it:

Can't Decide Where to Retire? - WSJ.com

My wife are REALLY hot on this idea. We are already starting the planning although it is still a number of years off for us.

If we stay healthy, I can imagine a better way to spend the last mobile years of one's life.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My Mom and my stepfather did this for the last 10 years of their lives. They absolutely loved it.

I didn't like it because I didn't know where they were from one minute to the next and always worried about their health and safety.

As for me .. I wouldn't mind traveling but I want a place to come home to that is in the same spot all the time.

Cheers to these people for doing the thing they want to do !

Old 10-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

This is fascinating qmax! I love the idea, aside from missing my grandchildren and worrying about how we would live once health concerns might cause us to come home. Certainly worth thinking about though.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I know a couple who sold their home and moved into a motor home and spent retirement traveling the United States and Canada. They loved it, and would park at their son's house for a couple of months each year too. It wasn't as extreme as this couple, but they did enjoy it. I think I would rather have my home to return to. Sometimes the best part of taking a vacation is the feeling you get when you get home. :)
Old 10-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

So I get the notion of not having a "home", but on the other hand, I for one am chomping at the bit to get out of owning a single family residence. I am utterly sick of the maintenance, both in expense and calories. We will bail on the house and either do this or get an urban high rise condo in Seattle.

With as connected as the world is, smartphones and laptops would have you connected with voice, video and text with all the family.

We also considered the impact of not being around our granddaughter, but by the time we did this, she would be 12 and probably wouldn't want to spend much time with us anyway. This would allow us to give her the world. She could join us on winter break, spring break, summer break in Lima, or Sydney, or Rome, or Paris or wherever.

You could only do this until health became an issue, then you would settle in one spot.

In any case, doing this for 4-5 years would put a one hell of an exclamation point on one's life.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

but why wait for retirement? i would think the best time to be a citizen of the world is while you are still young and healthy enough to really enjoy and survive that kind of 'trip'.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

Do it! I'm a big fan of follow you heart. What a wonderful way to explore and enjoy the world.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Wine Guy

I went nomadic for almost 15 years, from the late 70s until the early 90s. My then-wife and I traveled as road musicians. We played in 40 of the 50 states and in 6 countries overseas. "Home" for us, on the rare occasions when we weren't working, was staying at one of our parents or at friends' homes we met along the way. A few times we even slept in our truck (sleeper over the cab).

We had all of the comforts of home with us, including a complete cooking setup.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
but why wait for retirement? i would think the best time to be a citizen of the world is while you are still young and healthy enough to really enjoy and survive that kind of 'trip'.

The obvious answer is having enough money. Rents in cities like Paris, Sorrento, etc run on the order of $3K/month.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Master Chef

Think about it all the time. Would love to do it but won't yet since my children are still young and they would miss their friends and family too much.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote