"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Sous Chef

hey nick?? what part of mass r u from? i lived in the back bay area of boston for about 6 years when i went to berklee coll. of music (film scoring..what a useless degree!! lol). i lived on boylston st, newberry, and a few others!.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Nicholas, I played the flute in junior high & high school (still play on occasion just so I don't forget anything). I got braces after I started playing...talk about painful (especially at those cold Friday night football games)!! I'd love to learn with him though, music is something I love, it's right up there with cooking. I can live with the pain, I can always use a pencil to post on here!

I'll look for the "Dummy" book too. His nana & papa were asking what to get him & that would be perfect!

Thank you all so much for the info, I need as much as I can get!

Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm from Greenfield, but I live 30mins east in Athol. I work half-way in between in a small town called Erving. All three towns are along Rte.2 in Central Mass above the Quabbin Resivoir near the borders of New Hampshire and Vermont. Quiet area, but Boston suburbia is slowly creeping west, and Springfield/Hartford suburbia is slowly creeping north. Eventually I may be forced up into Vermont...
----
Oh, great choice on opting out of the TV! I ditched my cable service about three years ago. I found myself spending a few hours a day (hour in the morning, 1/2hr here, 1/2hr there, etc) switching between News stations and the Food Network. Now when I'm home I get all my news/weather/scores in about 10min online, then I cook, read, listen to music, play music, and do things that are actually productive.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks! We limit the kids TV time to an hour a day unless it's something special they want to watch & they've been at least 3/4 decent that day. Most of the time they are outside playing (weather permitting, of course my kids would play outside in a tornado if we'd let them ) & if they can't do that, they play board games, cards, or they are in the kitchen drawing or helping me cook. They both would rather be up & doing stuff other than sitting in front of the TV.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
Head Chef

Great sounding kids, Crewsk. I bet your son will love the guitar. Doubtless the teacher will enjoy his meals too!

Maybe your first meal ought to be spaghetti alla chitarra!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
All I`m going to say is that if he Does take to it and get an Electric guitar, PLEEEZE don`t even Try and use Nylon strings :))

and yes, I also tune manualy from the top string (Low E) also, it`s good practice, although I`m a Synth player normaly, I like to have a mess around on guitar too (esp after a few beers).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks Snoop & YT!

Y'all have no idea how excited I am about this!! I feel like a kid waiting on a parent to open that special Christmas present that I saved all my allowance for & picked out myself!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I can play the radio. :)
Old 10-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I can play the radio. :)
Ah, I know what you mean, Sush! I used to say I could play the phonograph, but with today's technology, I can't even say that anymore because the younger set most likely doesn't have a clue about what a phonograph is.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I'm a musician as well. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I play Keyboard/Piano, guitar, bass, trumpet, saxophone, and "loosely" play the drums (by far my weakest instrument).

While I understand the desire to get an instrument economically, I personally don't trust the stuff at Target/WalMart when it comes to instruments. You can get a good quality, recognized brand acoustic guitar for a couple hundred bucks, give or take, at a reputable music store (local is better then big name chains). Fender Guitars comes racing to my mind, as that was my first acoustic and I don't think I paid over $200 if I recall correctly. There came a time when I had to sell it, and I still was able to get a decent buck for it. IMHO, that's not as likely with a WalMart/Target guitar. I don't even know who makes those. A good quality (even if inexpensive) reputable guitar is a far better investment then a chain store bought one. If it happens the instrument isn't welcomed, one like a Fender will be much easier to sell.

Musically, learning basics on a piano/keyboard would certainly be a good thing along the way too. If there is a musical interest, basic piano knowledge will assist in whatever instrument is chosen. I played piano before I played trumpet or saxophone. Reading the music for the brass was far easier then reading music for the piano, but the efforts in music theory with the piano more then paid off with the other instruments.

Another way to think of it is if your kid was into mechanical repair. As the kid was learning to work on engines, etc. you wouldn't buy them plastic tools from the toy section at a retail chain store. On the other hand, you likely wouldn't call the Snap-On guy to stop by in his rolling showroom to buy tools either. You'd likely go to a hardware store or home improvement store and buy good quality yet economical tools, such as Stanley, Husky, or maybe Craftsman. You gotta have good quality tools to do the job. No different with instruments. The "off brand" guitars I've seen are very poor quality, are often tough to tune, and sometimes don't hold a tune for long if they can be tuned. All of this can be discouraging for a budding musician.

Mind you this is merely my experience and personal preference/opinion.