Anyone Here Play Guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigDog said:
The "off brand" guitars I've seen are very poor quality, are often tough to tune, and sometimes don't hold a tune for long if they can be tuned. All of this can be discouraging for a budding musician.

Mind you this is merely my experience and personal preference/opinion.

guitar player here too... i agree w the above. I think a guitar that is hard to keep in tune will be very frustrating and, if cheaply made, may have frets that are slightly off tune (rare, but i have seen this). Fender is a great brand but I think they may be a tad bit expensive (havent checked in a bit), I have seen some decent Yamaha guitars for a little less. Another thing, I dont know where Liberty SC is but I lived in Charleston for a year and the climate there is very humid... if this is the case, you need to take extra care of steel strings as they corrode very rapidly.

Thanks BigDog & Seven! I'll keep all that in mind.

Seven, Liberty is in the Upstate of SC near Clemson, Anderson, & Greenville, it's a small town. In the summer it's pretty humid here too.

I stopped by a music store yesterday & spoke with the owner. He siad that it's best to start out with steel strings beause they aren't placed as far apart as the nylon strings.(Kinda confusing to me bacause I thought the strings were interchangable. I didn't think to ask him that because I was a little distracted trying to keep my daughter from pulling me down as she clung to my legs.:rolleyes: ) As far as which strings last longer, he said that really depends on how the instrument is played & cared for.

YAY!!! It's here!! We ordered a guitar yesterday that the guy teaching my son highly recommended & brought to work with him so hubby could look at it. Also, when I went to the music store, the guy there showed me one of these & he recommended it too (it just cost a lot more than this one & didn't have a case or any of the other stuff). It arrived just a few minutes ago. We went ahead & ordered a stand also (my MIL is giving him that for his b-day). Here it is for those interested. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-IJV50-JamPack-Quick-Start?sku=519456

Unfortunately, I think TC knows what he's getting. His sister told him we went to the music store & bought him a talking parrot.:rolleyes: He keeps asking me if we got him a guitar. I'm just glad to have one less thing to worry about though!

Back
Top Bottom