"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Question Anyone Here Play Guitar?

We're getting TC a guitar for his birthday & I was wondering if anyone had any info they could share with me. Such as...5 string or 6, what size (he's about 4.5" tall), & steel or nylon strings? Hubby has a friend who plays & has said that he'll give TC lessons for free as long as I feed him once a week (I'm more than happy to do that ). We're starting him out on acoustic, that way as he learns, he can move on to electric & then hopefully one day bass. I know nothing about guitars so any info would be very helpful & appreciated! The only thing I'll be able to help TC out with is learning to read music...I need to break out my old flute books to brush up on that though!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I think I'd ask the owner of a music store to help me. He'd know the correct size for TC and hopefully direct you to a less expensive beginner guitar.

I'm sure he could answer the questions about strings, too.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks HB! I'm planning on calling the few music stores around here today to see what I can find out. Hubby says that steel strings last longer, but my concern is that with him being a beginner, will they be too rough on his fingers? I know that his fingers will get sore & tired at first but I don't want them to get so sore that he dosen't want to play.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Sous Chef

guitar player for over 20 years here.

my quick advise (u can feel free to ask any further questions): start him on a full size acoustic. your husband is wrong...nylon strings will last much longer that steele.

what type of music does he (not YOU) want to learn to play...that will greatly determine the string type. dont worry about which type will hurt his fingers...they gonna be sore with dither one until he develps callus on the fingertips.

i also HIGHLY reccomend that he learn piano at the same time as he learns guitar...he will greatly appreciate that later in life.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I'm not very good, but six string is what you want to start with. Most people learn to play by reading TAB music, which is easier to learn than traditional "music-music". Most people learn TAB notation first, and later move on to the more difficult to read "music-music".

I've only been playing a couple years (with no lessons, just in my spare time with books/CDs), but I bought a cheap-o Ibanez Dreadnought acoustic (it was about $150). Make sure you pick up a good digital tuner ($30-$40). Trying to learn guitar with out of tune strings is a hopeless endeavor. The "Dummy" book series is an excellent source of information and learning. Well put together. Really what it comes down to is learning the basics of the guitar, and then developing the ability to cleanly play various chords and the transitions between them (along with proper timing). You might want to talk to a music shop before buying a guitar. They will give you all the info you need.

When you first start out your need to develop calluses on your fretting fingers as well (the ones that push the strings down on the neck of the guitar to change notes). Most kids can't play long at first. Took me a few months to develop the rawhide fingertips...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Bass Guitar / Piano player here.

I think I would agree with just about everything mugsy has said. Start him out on an acoustic guitar. That way you don't have to bother with buying an amp, and then later dealing with the noise. Also, since he's still young you may want to look into getting himm a narrow-neck guitar, which is what I use, because my hands are a little small. Oh, and I don't think mugsy said this explicity, but you'll be getting a 6-string guitar.

The idea of training him in piano as well really help out when it comes to learning to read music, and later on, music theory. I learned to play piano about 5 years before I started guitar, so reading music was a breeze for me, and as soon as I was conmfortable move up and down the guitar, I was already able to improvise and play a little jazz. To a guitar player, sometimes there's nothing better than just being able to jam for a couple of hours; you just have to have the background to back it up.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Master Chef

Thank you mugsy, Nicholas, & cc!!

We're not sure what type of music he wants to learn yet, but he's shown intrest in playing the guitar for a few years now & we figure that since he is still interested that it's time. Also the guy who will be teaching him said that he is at a good age to start learning (he'll be 10 next Wed.). I've always wanted at least one of my children to have an intrest in music but I have never pushed it on them. I feel that if they are interested on their own that they will have a better chance of succeding with whatever they choose. He saw something on TV a couple of weeks ago where Esteban was playing & he said "Mama, I'd love to be able to do that." So, hubby & I scratched off the idea of a new TV for his room (thank goodness!!) in favor of a guitar.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Make sure you pick up a good digital tuner ($30-$40). Trying to learn guitar with out of tune strings is a hopeless endeavor.
A tuner is a nice tool to have, but I would reccommend he learns to tune his strings by ear. For this, you use your digital tuner for the 1st string only, and then tune the rest of your strings relative to the tone of your first string. The reason is that digital tuners cannot capture tone as well as the human ear, so while your strings are likely to be very close to properly tuned, they won't be perfectly in tune, as they should be. Additionally, being able to tune by ear saves time once you're used to doing it.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Master Chef

Here's one that we have looked at. Right now, we're just looking at the basics. He's spending the night with is grandparents tonight so I'll have some time to actually go chek out a few music stores this afternon. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000BUDR68
Old 10-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Thats actually how I usually tune my guitar. Low E, and then tune the others off that one. It definetly yields the best results. When I first started I tuned all of them with the tuner though. My guitar came in a package deal like the one above, but the included tuner was terrible!. I ended up spending a bit more and getting one that worked well. It's a Korg unit.

I'm someone who grew up putting all his time into drawing/math/science. I never really played an instrument until two years ago. Starting young is the way to go. I was just watching a video of a 7yr old drummer yesterday someone eMailed me. I was in shock at how well he played. Of course his father plays multiple instruments as well. Why not pick up the guitar yourself? Learn with your son so when he needs a partner to play with he'll have one. Just get ready for finger-tips of fire for the first few months...

EDIT: When you go to the music stores, realize that they are not like department stores. You can usually haggle on price and extras. I'd pick up the "Dummy" book too. It has alot of information. Everything from restringing when you bust them (and you will eventually), to the basics to start you out (along with a CD on the back cover to follow along with).