Anyone interested ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are both definitely on the list of "husband, order these from Netflix"!

I've ordered them, too. But in a more permanent form.

Oh and The Vicar of Dibley, Good Neighbors...too many comedies to even start on, Fawlty Towers...ah heck, I'll be here all night thinking of more titles.

I think humor can be very culture specific. I, personally, think it is odd that most English people I've known (especially of a certain age), just think that any man in drag is hysterically funny. My husband absolutely loved Benny Hill (thank heavens he hasn't ordered that on Netflix, or I might have to move out for awhile).
The Scottish a N/Irish dont think its funny they think its normal.The Welsh....well we have sheep.The history of cross dressing in the UK Theartre is very old, the childrens Christmas Pantomime is a fine example ie Dick in Dick Whittington is always played by a woman(is that an oxymoron)whilst the widow Twankey is played by a man.
I have sat/tv and I once watched the a Maury show where the audience has to guess the sex of scantily clad contestants.I have a problem with this on a number of levels.

I've ordered them, too. But in a more permanent form.

Oh and The Vicar of Dibley, Good Neighbors...too many comedies to even start on, Fawlty Towers...ah heck, I'll be here all night thinking of more titles.

I used to get a kick out of Good Neighbors and also To the manor born.

season 2 of "downton abbey" started tonight on pbs. it was a good episode.

it airs again at 1am on tuesday on pbs in most markets, in case anyone's interested.

i'm still waiting for bolas to show up as one of the characters...

countess bolas de fraile, the cross dressing earl of grantham. :cool:

I watched DA tonight. What a good show. Last season was just the set up. Now it is getting deep and good. Can't wait until next Sunday. I just hope this season is more than four shows. I am addicted to Masterpiece Theater.

I watched Pride and Prejudice twice with Colin Firth as Mr. Darby. Then to see him in Mama Mia as a comic gay man singing was hilarious. :LOL:

We just watched Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush in, "The King's Speech," last night. It was excellent.

Wow, I am so out of the loop on this. I used to love British TV and we get lots of it here in Canada. I haven't had cable in years and don't watch TV at all, since I fried the one with the makeshift antenna.

Wow, I am so out of the loop on this. I used to love British TV and we get lots of it here in Canada. I haven't had cable in years and don't watch TV at all, since I fried the one with the makeshift antenna.

Seems to me we've enjoyed a few Canadian TV series and/or movies as well, how about some prompts there, since I can't put a name to them. Red Green, of course. He was hot here in the upper U.S. Midwest, but hubby and I first saw him years before the U.S. market found him, on a vacation to Quebec. Loved "advice to older men". Loved one episode where one character makes fun of French-Canadian accents (yes, my dad and his older siblings do speak like that!).

I went to PBS.COM and DA has seven shows this season instead of the four. And!!! they are already working on season three. Also they hinted that all will be right between Mary and Mathew. YEA!!!:clap::clap:

i could just watch laura linney talk about the show for an hour.

rrrowr... she makes smart chicks look hot. :cool:

umm, i meant to say there's nothing better than a beautiful woman who's also smart.

Last edited:
The Pie in the Sky series was fun. Liked Foyle's War and Doc Martin, well and all the others, too. I reluctantly ordered up Little Dorritt, thinking it would be too treacly. But it was really very good and introduced me to Eddie Marsan, who played Mr. Pancks with obvious relish. Through Netflix's great set-up I found Marsan again in a film I liked a lot: Happy Go Lucky. He is anger personified as a driving instructor. On a Google site, he was described as "ubiquitous" at present.

Downton has so many loose threads that keep getting looser. I kind of wish they would tie up a couple and move on, except that I hope we've not seen the last of Mr. Bates.

Downton has so many loose threads that keep getting looser. I kind of wish they would tie up a couple and move on, except that I hope we've not seen the last of Mr. Bates.

For me the star of Downton is Highclere Castle, and of course Dame Maggie Smith.

I miss a lot of the story because I am so busy gawking at the things in the background. I wonder if Lord and Lady Carnarvon have a Roomba.

The Pie in the Sky series was fun. Liked Foyle's War and Doc Martin, well and all the others, too. I reluctantly ordered up Little Dorritt, thinking it would be too treacly. But it was really very good and introduced me to Eddie Marsan, who played Mr. Pancks with obvious relish. Through Netflix's great set-up I found Marsan again in a film I liked a lot: Happy Go Lucky. He is anger personified as a driving instructor. On a Google site, he was described as "ubiquitous" at present.

Patience Little Grasshopper. Last season there were only four shows. This season there will be seven shows. So they have time to tie it all up. The first show was just the set up. the next six shows will begin to tie all the loose ends. This season ends with the end of the war. And they are already working on Season III. :)

Adderly
Anne of Green Gables
Blackstone (I have to mention this because I know someone who produces it.)
Bob and Doug
Corner Gas (5 stars)
Due South (5 stars for me 2 from DH)
Heartland
Little Mosque on the Prairie
SCTV
Stargate

I could go on, but here is a list of Canadian shows. I'm fond of lots of the kid shows myself.

Last edited:
Seems to me, too, that there was an Aussie (maybe Kiwi) series we liked. I think the former. About a single father and his little girl.

DA has a great following among our "herd". On Fridays when we gather at our third place, we re-hash it like we knew the people. It does remind me a lot of "Upstairs Downstairs."

My current favorite is "New Tricks". I even find myself humming the theme song, "It's alright, it's OK; Doesn't really matter if you're old and gray!"

Anne, of course, was a childhood favorite in book and old movie forms, and I loved the more recent (being relative, many moons ago) TV shows. I'd think it was a girl thing, but when they pop up periodically on TV, my husband always tunes in.

Last edited:
Downton redux -- what a jarring turn to the way of life that period of time was for the fortunate, privileged, landed folk. And this excellent treatment that we get to watch unfold is so well done and thought provoking. The casting, IMO, could not be better -- Daisy and William's wedding in the episode just past was so poignant.

Will Mary marry at all? Stay tuned, right, Addie?

We have been slowly working our way through two complete series DVD sets I gave SO for Christmas, Doc Martin and All Creatures Great and Small. It is great seeing all the episodes and seeing them all in the proper order.

Back
Top Bottom