Anyone see Gordon Ramsay's new show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a friend who is in commercial appliance repair business. So he is in restaurants a lot, in the kitchens that is. He usually tells me which restaurants he doesn't go to, no comments though. Most of them are big chains.

I literally cannot STAND Gordon Ramsey. In any of his shows, of which I've caught a couple of each - all times with new hope. Alas, he continues to be nothing but a crude, lewd, pretentious, know-it-all bigmouth culinary neanderthal making $$$ off of the current "reality tv" craze. Personality nada, unless you're a sado-masochist.

And let's face it - these shows are staged. These people AGREE to have him do this. He doesn't just show up unannounced at some restaurant & turn the tables on them. And it wouldn't be "good" tv if he came across a restaurant without any problems that he couldn't ***** & swear about it, would it? I find the series sadder than sad.

And let's face it - these shows are staged. These people AGREE to have him do this. He doesn't just show up unannounced at some restaurant & turn the tables on them. And it wouldn't be "good" tv if he came across a restaurant without any problems that he couldn't ***** & swear about it, would it? I find the series sadder than sad.

Of course these people agree to have him come. It states from the beginning of each episode that the restaraunt owners submit a request to Chef Ramsay to have him come on board as a consultant for a week. Nobody is pretending that he shows up unannounced.

The restaurant business is full of people with big egos, strong opinions and rigid ways who use coarse language. If you are easily offended then don't bother watching. Personally I am more offended by the disgusting conditions in some of the restaurants and kitchens that he is retained to fix.

You are not going to fix these restaurants without first putting the employees on notice that they are the cause of the problems. Poor service, poor food and poor hygiene have no place in a restaurant cannot be tolerated. These restaurants are full of staff and owners who need to have their asses kicked to get them to change. How do you not see filth, spoiled food and vermin where you prepare and serve food to the public? Chef Ramsey's strong personality and confrontational ways are needed to change attitudes and mandate changes if these restaurants are to survive and thrive. I believe that he has shown great compassion to those who desire to change and turn their restaurants around. He has no tolerance of inept, incompetent, lazy or selfish employees and for that I applaud him. There is nothing wrong with a big ego as long as it is backed up by ability, talent and knowledge.

This show capitalizes on these dramatic situations but they are real restaurants and people nonetheless. I dare say that this show could be made in a large percentage of restaurants in any community.

Last edited:
Uh - I'm definitely not an easily offended person.

But when the supposed (ahem) "star" of a show constantly feels an overwhelming need to describe food as looking & tasting (??? how does he know this) like "vomit"; looking & tasting like "dog ****"; etc., etc., etc. to the point where if I had a nickle for everytime descriptions like that were made I'd be a wealthy woman - one can't help but wonder where the realty/sensationalism line begins & ends.

No one says he has to be a Casper Milquetoast, but he could at least be constructive without acting like he needs a 7-day-a-week therapist for his mouth.

Frankly, I think Gordon Ramsey just enjoys making restaurant owners' knees shake & being the "big bad boy" of culinary television.

Way too sad. Can't wait for him to lose his appeal & leave the airwaves to people who can make their points known without being crude & obnoxious about it.

I think you're right, Aurora. Most restaurants are owned and operated to some extent by individuals so there is a great deal of ego involved. But when that has led to accepting and ignoring dangerous conditions that put patrons at risk, it's going to take someone willing to be strongly confrontational like Gordon Ramsey to really effect change. I seriously doubt anyone with a milder manner could make a dent in the restaurants shown so far.

What the *BLEEP* is wrong with the *BLEEP* way Gordon *BLEEP* Ramsey *BLEEP* talks? :angel:

Yep - some of those restaurant owners/chefs are such idiots they give idiots a bad name! I especially enjoyed that French chef in Scotland!

Help

When I make a meal, I am positive you won't find anything crawling around on it or that the ingredients are spoiled. That is the way Chef Ramsay wants all of the meals to be prepared. the language is extra to wake these guys up to the fact that their income is being affected by their laziness and lack of attention. When you yell a profane word at someone, I know it does get attention no matter where it is heard. How can you talk normal to anyone who is showing how stupid they are? These people really upset me too. I can't blame him one bit.

:)Gordon talks like that to get his bleeping point across.You cant talk nice to the jerk in the kitchen because that would just go in one ear and out the other.The bottom line on a filthy kitchen IMHO is the people working there are just plain lazy.They dont work there because they love to cook they are there to get a paycheck.Like I used to say they are not there just because we need another warm body here they are paid to do a job.If they dont want to do that they are not needed.

When I make a meal, I am positive you won't find anything crawling around on it or that the ingredients are spoiled. That is the way Chef Ramsay wants all of the meals to be prepared. the language is extra to wake these guys up to the fact that their income is being affected by their laziness and lack of attention. When you yell a profane word at someone, I know it does get attention no matter where it is heard. How can you talk normal to anyone who is showing how stupid they are? These people really upset me too. I can't blame him one bit.
:)Right you are.Ramsey did not just get 2 more Michelin stars to his place in NY for being a slacker.Its his place and his reputation you are messing with.
Like we used to say.If you cant run with the big dogs,stay on the porch.
If I was still running a kitchen as I have in the past I would have totally lost it if I saw the stuff Ive seen on his show.That chef on this last show was a total jerk so was his sous chef.Their attitude alone would make you cuss like a sailor.

If I recall last night's show correctly, even the Saintly Greek Mom was bleeped several times. Sometimes coarse talk and loud voices are the only way to get through to some folks. A polite English, "I say, ahem, would you mind terribly not doing that?" is just not going to get their attention or get the job done.

It's O.K. if you don't agree with me on this, but I believe customers' health and safety is more important than employees' feelings.

Last edited:
Wake up guys!! I don't care about any of the swearing at all.

I draw the line at equating what he's eating to vomit & dog "droppings". And these comments had nothing to do with sanitation, etc. - just his comments on how the food looked & tasted. I don't think that sort of stuff is necessary at all & is just disgusting sensationalism.

Looks & taste are subjective, & regardless of how many "stars" his restaurants get, I doubt everyone on the planet swoons at his food. I'd love to see how he'd feel if a critic called one of his prissy creations "vomit" - all in the name of supposed "public education".

That's what I don't like about his shows.

You are right. Moldy croutons, rancid pesto and spoiled fish served on customer plates should be called garbage or swill.

Last edited:
I guess the thing about his swearing is that it's all part of the 'reality TV' thing. A lot of Brits of his generation swear prolifically and proficiently. If he were to be polite and proper, it wouldn't make for interesting telly and it wouldn't have even the slightest semblance of reality.

As for the dog's droppings... I can't be the only one to think that's funny, surely?

Experience

Looks & taste are subjective, & regardless of how many "stars" his restaurants get, I doubt everyone on the planet swoons at his food. I'd love to see how he'd feel if a critic called one of his prissy creations "vomit" - all in the name of supposed "public education".

I am sure that Chef Ramsay has had his share of people yelling at him and maybe that is something he has grown accustomed to and we aren't aware of it. Getting to where he is, didn't happen overnight. He has been in the business for some time. Who knows what this guy has experienced? Not all of us are made up of this guy's determination. Success doesn't just 'fall' on you. When he was on Larry King, the guy truly came across as so sincere. He even admitted that he wasn't able to conceive his children in the normal way, which I thought was revealing too much. Probably wanted to avoid the tabloids from having a party writing something that wasn't true. Did any of you get to see his mom on one of his shows? He told Larry, his father wasn't the best to his mom or the family. Showed no real emotion when he talked about his death. How well one can relate to others problems when they take time to talk about it.

I like him. He says it like it is, in his opinion. I find it refreshing to have someone tell you they don't really care for your opinion and to keep my mouth shut. I could handle it from him. He is only trying to help.

This is only my opinion. We are all different.

:)From what I understand Ramsey always makes sure to be home for sunday dinner with his family.I think alot of chefs are tempermental it just goes with the territory.Type A personality if you will.
I think getting people to do what you want and do it right in a kitchen is really hard and working in a kitchen at any level is a hard job no time to slack doesnt matter what mood your in the job has to get done.To me a proffesional is someone who gets the job done even when they dont feel like it.

Last edited:
:)From what I understand Ramsey always makes sure to be home for sunday dinner with his family.I think alot of chefs are tempermental it just goes with the territory.Type A personality if you will.
I think getting people to do what you want and do it right in a kitchen is really hard and working in a kitchen at any level is a hard job no time to slack doesnt matter what mood your in the job has to get done.To me a proffesional is someone who gets the job done even when they dont feel like it.

Since you 'been there done that' guess you can understand why he is the way he is. I just do look forward to seeing the change in the kitchen on every show. I bet the people who work for him get the best pay and really earn it too. Probably have the same feeling about the food and place they work. My son said he played professional soccer when he was younger. Has brother who must be problem. Not a chef.

Nice that he makes it home on Sunday. Wonder who cooks?

:)When my kitchen people in Taos would get a slow period I would tell them.
You got time to lean you got time to clean.

I've loved the original BBC edition. The FOX version is, well, FOX... But for them, it's good.

I think these Americans are actually going to kill Gordon, though.

Back
Top Bottom