"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #21
Master Chef

I have a friend who is in commercial appliance repair business. So he is in restaurants a lot, in the kitchens that is. He usually tells me which restaurants he doesn't go to, no comments though. Most of them are big chains.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #22
Master Chef

I literally cannot STAND Gordon Ramsey. In any of his shows, of which I've caught a couple of each - all times with new hope. Alas, he continues to be nothing but a crude, lewd, pretentious, know-it-all bigmouth culinary neanderthal making $$$ off of the current "reality tv" craze. Personality nada, unless you're a sado-masochist.

And let's face it - these shows are staged. These people AGREE to have him do this. He doesn't just show up unannounced at some restaurant & turn the tables on them. And it wouldn't be "good" tv if he came across a restaurant without any problems that he couldn't ***** & swear about it, would it? I find the series sadder than sad.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
And let's face it - these shows are staged. These people AGREE to have him do this. He doesn't just show up unannounced at some restaurant & turn the tables on them. And it wouldn't be "good" tv if he came across a restaurant without any problems that he couldn't ***** & swear about it, would it? I find the series sadder than sad.
Of course these people agree to have him come. It states from the beginning of each episode that the restaraunt owners submit a request to Chef Ramsay to have him come on board as a consultant for a week. Nobody is pretending that he shows up unannounced.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #24
Senior Cook

The restaurant business is full of people with big egos, strong opinions and rigid ways who use coarse language. If you are easily offended then don't bother watching. Personally I am more offended by the disgusting conditions in some of the restaurants and kitchens that he is retained to fix.

You are not going to fix these restaurants without first putting the employees on notice that they are the cause of the problems. Poor service, poor food and poor hygiene have no place in a restaurant cannot be tolerated. These restaurants are full of staff and owners who need to have their asses kicked to get them to change. How do you not see filth, spoiled food and vermin where you prepare and serve food to the public? Chef Ramsey's strong personality and confrontational ways are needed to change attitudes and mandate changes if these restaurants are to survive and thrive. I believe that he has shown great compassion to those who desire to change and turn their restaurants around. He has no tolerance of inept, incompetent, lazy or selfish employees and for that I applaud him. There is nothing wrong with a big ego as long as it is backed up by ability, talent and knowledge.

This show capitalizes on these dramatic situations but they are real restaurants and people nonetheless. I dare say that this show could be made in a large percentage of restaurants in any community.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #25
Master Chef

Uh - I'm definitely not an easily offended person.

But when the supposed (ahem) "star" of a show constantly feels an overwhelming need to describe food as looking & tasting (??? how does he know this) like "vomit"; looking & tasting like "dog ****"; etc., etc., etc. to the point where if I had a nickle for everytime descriptions like that were made I'd be a wealthy woman - one can't help but wonder where the realty/sensationalism line begins & ends.

No one says he has to be a Casper Milquetoast, but he could at least be constructive without acting like he needs a 7-day-a-week therapist for his mouth.

Frankly, I think Gordon Ramsey just enjoys making restaurant owners' knees shake & being the "big bad boy" of culinary television.

Way too sad. Can't wait for him to lose his appeal & leave the airwaves to people who can make their points known without being crude & obnoxious about it.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I think you're right, Aurora. Most restaurants are owned and operated to some extent by individuals so there is a great deal of ego involved. But when that has led to accepting and ignoring dangerous conditions that put patrons at risk, it's going to take someone willing to be strongly confrontational like Gordon Ramsey to really effect change. I seriously doubt anyone with a milder manner could make a dent in the restaurants shown so far.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #27
Master Chef

What the *BLEEP* is wrong with the *BLEEP* way Gordon *BLEEP* Ramsey *BLEEP* talks?

Yep - some of those restaurant owners/chefs are such idiots they give idiots a bad name! I especially enjoyed that French chef in Scotland!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Help

When I make a meal, I am positive you won't find anything crawling around on it or that the ingredients are spoiled. That is the way Chef Ramsay wants all of the meals to be prepared. the language is extra to wake these guys up to the fact that their income is being affected by their laziness and lack of attention. When you yell a profane word at someone, I know it does get attention no matter where it is heard. How can you talk normal to anyone who is showing how stupid they are? These people really upset me too. I can't blame him one bit.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Gordon talks like that to get his bleeping point across.You cant talk nice to the jerk in the kitchen because that would just go in one ear and out the other.The bottom line on a filthy kitchen IMHO is the people working there are just plain lazy.They dont work there because they love to cook they are there to get a paycheck.Like I used to say they are not there just because we need another warm body here they are paid to do a job.If they dont want to do that they are not needed.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
When I make a meal, I am positive you won't find anything crawling around on it or that the ingredients are spoiled. That is the way Chef Ramsay wants all of the meals to be prepared. the language is extra to wake these guys up to the fact that their income is being affected by their laziness and lack of attention. When you yell a profane word at someone, I know it does get attention no matter where it is heard. How can you talk normal to anyone who is showing how stupid they are? These people really upset me too. I can't blame him one bit.
Right you are.Ramsey did not just get 2 more Michelin stars to his place in NY for being a slacker.Its his place and his reputation you are messing with.
Like we used to say.If you cant run with the big dogs,stay on the porch.
If I was still running a kitchen as I have in the past I would have totally lost it if I saw the stuff Ive seen on his show.That chef on this last show was a total jerk so was his sous chef.Their attitude alone would make you cuss like a sailor.