"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #31
Senior Cook

If I recall last night's show correctly, even the Saintly Greek Mom was bleeped several times. Sometimes coarse talk and loud voices are the only way to get through to some folks. A polite English, "I say, ahem, would you mind terribly not doing that?" is just not going to get their attention or get the job done.

It's O.K. if you don't agree with me on this, but I believe customers' health and safety is more important than employees' feelings.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #32
Master Chef

Wake up guys!! I don't care about any of the swearing at all.

I draw the line at equating what he's eating to vomit & dog "droppings". And these comments had nothing to do with sanitation, etc. - just his comments on how the food looked & tasted. I don't think that sort of stuff is necessary at all & is just disgusting sensationalism.

Looks & taste are subjective, & regardless of how many "stars" his restaurants get, I doubt everyone on the planet swoons at his food. I'd love to see how he'd feel if a critic called one of his prissy creations "vomit" - all in the name of supposed "public education".

That's what I don't like about his shows.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #33
Senior Cook

You are right. Moldy croutons, rancid pesto and spoiled fish served on customer plates should be called garbage or swill.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Well if you think Gorden is offensive go on the Comedy Channel and watch South Park or Drawn Together.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 AM   #35
Head Chef

I guess the thing about his swearing is that it's all part of the 'reality TV' thing. A lot of Brits of his generation swear prolifically and proficiently. If he were to be polite and proper, it wouldn't make for interesting telly and it wouldn't have even the slightest semblance of reality.

As for the dog's droppings... I can't be the only one to think that's funny, surely?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Experience

Looks & taste are subjective, & regardless of how many "stars" his restaurants get, I doubt everyone on the planet swoons at his food. I'd love to see how he'd feel if a critic called one of his prissy creations "vomit" - all in the name of supposed "public education".

I am sure that Chef Ramsay has had his share of people yelling at him and maybe that is something he has grown accustomed to and we aren't aware of it. Getting to where he is, didn't happen overnight. He has been in the business for some time. Who knows what this guy has experienced? Not all of us are made up of this guy's determination. Success doesn't just 'fall' on you. When he was on Larry King, the guy truly came across as so sincere. He even admitted that he wasn't able to conceive his children in the normal way, which I thought was revealing too much. Probably wanted to avoid the tabloids from having a party writing something that wasn't true. Did any of you get to see his mom on one of his shows? He told Larry, his father wasn't the best to his mom or the family. Showed no real emotion when he talked about his death. How well one can relate to others problems when they take time to talk about it.

I like him. He says it like it is, in his opinion. I find it refreshing to have someone tell you they don't really care for your opinion and to keep my mouth shut. I could handle it from him. He is only trying to help.

This is only my opinion. We are all different.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #37
Executive Chef

From what I understand Ramsey always makes sure to be home for sunday dinner with his family.I think alot of chefs are tempermental it just goes with the territory.Type A personality if you will.
I think getting people to do what you want and do it right in a kitchen is really hard and working in a kitchen at any level is a hard job no time to slack doesnt matter what mood your in the job has to get done.To me a proffesional is someone who gets the job done even when they dont feel like it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
From what I understand Ramsey always makes sure to be home for sunday dinner with his family.I think alot of chefs are tempermental it just goes with the territory.Type A personality if you will.
I think getting people to do what you want and do it right in a kitchen is really hard and working in a kitchen at any level is a hard job no time to slack doesnt matter what mood your in the job has to get done.To me a proffesional is someone who gets the job done even when they dont feel like it.
Since you 'been there done that' guess you can understand why he is the way he is. I just do look forward to seeing the change in the kitchen on every show. I bet the people who work for him get the best pay and really earn it too. Probably have the same feeling about the food and place they work. My son said he played professional soccer when he was younger. Has brother who must be problem. Not a chef.

Nice that he makes it home on Sunday. Wonder who cooks?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #39
Executive Chef

When my kitchen people in Taos would get a slow period I would tell them.
You got time to lean you got time to clean.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #40
Senior Cook

I've loved the original BBC edition. The FOX version is, well, FOX... But for them, it's good.

I think these Americans are actually going to kill Gordon, though.